Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a diff lock make a big difference in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RegT
To be fair...it would be better to have CDL but Land Rover TC works alot better than people think it does.
I also have been impressed with it, I went into it expecting it to be terrible after everything I have read but, its not been the case. Sure your one electrical glitch away from one wheel drive, but when it works it works.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

One of the tricks to the TC is that you must spin the tires for about 5sec before the TC realizes what is going on and kicks in, and I think there needs to be a 5mph or more difference between the wheels.

And I know I am going to be flamed for this, but I am not impressed with the DuraTrac's at all.
No I do not have them, but after seeing them in action in mud last summer and hearing this story as well as seeing them in the snow in person...not impressed.
They look awesome, but they seem to clog easily and thus loose all traction.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Working TC and a CDL is the best of both worlds and if you don't have a CDL capable transfer case and break a spider gear, cv or axle your truck will not move any more, it's all done but the cryin'. If you have a CDL capable transfer case you can remove a driveshaft and still make it home un assisted unless you have a pile of metal locking up the diff which is still fixable with the rights tools for a band aid fix home.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:37 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
.....And I know I am going to be flamed for this, but I am not impressed with the DuraTrac's at all.
No I do not have them, but after seeing them in action in mud last summer and hearing this story as well as seeing them in the snow in person...not impressed.
I am a Duratrac owner, and I wholeheartedly disagree. That is all

Old 03-02-2012, 09:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Spike555
One of the tricks to the TC is that you must spin the tires for about 5sec before the TC realizes what is going on and kicks in, and I think there needs to be a 5mph or more difference between the wheels.

And I know I am going to be flamed for this, but I am not impressed with the DuraTrac's at all.
Actually tc kicks in with about 1/2 a turn slip of the wheel. Its really fast, mine actually kicks in every time i go up our gravel drive, its that sensitive.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
I am a Duratrac owner, and I wholeheartedly disagree. That is all

So THATS why I'm bald! lol

Old 03-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 94svt50
Actually tc kicks in with about 1/2 a turn slip of the wheel. Its really fast, mine actually kicks in every time i go up our gravel drive, its that sensitive.
The truck I drove was not so quick to work with the TC, so that is what I was basing my info on.
I stand corrected.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't the traction control only work as well as the brakes were able to work? Brakes in poor condition will produce poor traction control, no? I still might be missing something here though haha.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Its okay spike, we cant always get 100% right like me.
at livingintheskies, the condition of the brakes make a huge difference. After I replaced all pads and rotors the tc functions much more aggressively.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank 94, I know I'm in need of replacing those parts. Tested the TC out in the last decent snow fall after fixing the amigos and it responded very quick but not very effectively haha.........Diff lock coming this spring.

Quick Reply: Does a diff lock make a big difference in snow?