Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 08:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Does not start

2003 D2, new batter, 12+ volts. Plus when put a jumper on it, nothing changed,

I can turn the key, all the dash lights come on, I can move the shifter through all the gears. The steering wheel will lock and I can unlock the steering.

I jingled the key, no luck. There is an almost imperceptible click when i turn the key, or maybe there is no click and it is in my head.

I am thinking it is the switch in the shift column, will check the inertia switch as well.

Any other ideas on what to check? All the lights and accessories work.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:21 PM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Check the starter?

Old 08-15-2018, 08:24 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

With the ignition on try jumping the starter from the battery to the solenoid, then from battery to starter motor, to make sure they are working.

If they do then it is possibly ignition, or electrical issue at one of the fuse boxes, BCU or maybe the Crank Position Sensor.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks, so simply run a wire from the battery to the starter? I will look up where the solenoid is.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:23 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by redrover75
Thanks, so simply run a wire from the battery to the starter? I will look up where the solenoid is.
Yep, you’ll need to take the cover off the starter and position it out of the way.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

As I read more about this, it seems less likely to be the brake light switch. I should not be able to move the shifter if the brake light switch is bad, which is not my problem.

So, sounds like it is the starter. Ill wack it a few times and see that does not help me.
Related fuses appear to be 20, 23, 24, 25
Fusible links, 3,8,12
Then try the more complicated, dirtier items.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

These are pretty handy, especially for compression tests:
Amazon Amazon

It's a bit tricky to get it onto the S terminal of the starter, but if you unclip the heatshield (don't need to unscrew it) and do some serious wiggling it's possible

Old 08-16-2018, 04:49 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Check and clean your ground cable at alternator bracket. If it still doesn't start, make sure vehicle is in park with parking brake applied, slide underneath, pull starter shield out of the way and check for voltage at large post, if you have 12+ volts, take a small screwdriver and use it to touch large post and small post on solenoid at the same time...if nothing happens...change starter.

If it starts, then you need to investigate the small terminal wire (from ignition switch) and see if you get 12 volts when ignition is turned to second position. If no voltage, you'll have to follow wiring diagram to find loss of power. Now, you may see voltage if you check it with a test light or volt meter, but truthfully, you should test it with a headlight bulb, rigging up a couple wires off a headlight bulb will do the trick and touch one lead to the large and one to the small post. This will tell you the condition of the wire, since one strand of wire will carry voltage, but not enough voltage/amperage to pull/activate the solenoid on the starter. If the bulb is bright, while turning ignition to second position...again...recheck/clean all grounds or change starter.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 08-16-2018 at 04:51 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Started

Thanks for all the feedback I went this morning to work on it and it started right up!

this may be worse than it not starting bc I have to worry about it being unreliable. As opposed to broken.

I'll have to wait for to fail again before I can trouble shoot it.

unless there are any other tboughts.

thanks

Old 08-16-2018, 06:57 AM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Make sure you have AAA if you are going to roll the dice and drive it. Mine did exactly what yours is, wouldn't start, single click. Next day it worked fine but a few days later it died again and left me stranded 80 miles from home. Starter was dead.

Quick Reply: Does not start