Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does this sound like a crank position sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 02:49 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does this sound like a crank position sensor?

My 02 discovery with 125K (90K on the engine) may need a new crank sensor from what I’ve been able to research on this forum.

Here is what’s happened: out of the blue it didn’t start in the driveway. It would crank as long as I held the key. No chokes or sputters, just a strong, “dry” sounding cranking. Later, I went out after awhile and it started. I went on a short drive during which it cut out for a half a second and then came back on. It was longer than a miss. My ultra gauge read “err” but gave no codes.

Then it did it again at my work parking lot. I left it and came back in the evening and it started. Later that evening it didn’t. This morning it did. You get the picture.

I have not had a chance to check for fuel or spark yet. Is it time to order a sensor?

Old 04-30-2013, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Buy a spark plug if you don't have a spare. Plug into a plug wire and lay on mainfold, check for sparks when problem happens. No sparks, time for a sensor.

Fuel pump should run for like 2 seconds at position 2 of key.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:20 PM
Mudding
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

My Disco just died while waiting at a red light with no warning. Light turned green and I hit the gas and the truck did not move! I did not even feel it shut off on me and the radio never went off or anything. It cranked fine, but would not start of course. Shop plugged in a new crank position sensor and it fired right up.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Overlanding

Well, for the first time ever I didn't want my car to start. Today after work it kept on starting so I could never check the spark. I knew as soon as I drove somewhere it would quit.

Finally, after supper, it didn't start! Sure enough, no spark. I checked on two wires just to be sure.

Are the symptoms for bad coil packs different?

Also, when the key is in position 2, I hear a hum in the engine compartment (not the ABS hum).

I think I'll use my kid's daycare mat while I lay under the vehicle this weekend to change that thing.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

There is a fuel pump hum, but not from engin compartment. If you have SAI that air pump runs at first when started. Unlikely coil packs fail at same time.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:01 PM
Overlanding

Are there brands to stay away from? There is a carquest in Santa Fe near where I live that has had everything I need for this car at internet prices. I don't know yet what brands they'll sell.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:01 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

and another CPS **** the bed! Must be a conspiracy that they are all failing at the same time

Old 04-30-2013, 11:13 PM
Overlanding

Either that or solar flairs.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The other possible culprit is the fuel pump relay.

My truck wouldn't start, so I replaced the cps. It still wouldn't start. After some research I swapped the fuel pump relay with the wiper relay next to it, and it cranked right up.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:44 PM
Overlanding

I did verify that there was no spark but the relay is worth checking. I haven't ordered yet. seems like the typical brands are Standard or Bosch. I'll probably go with the Bosch.

Quick Reply: does this sound like a crank position sensor?