Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing Front Crank Seal, Do heads/others now?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing Front Crank Seal, Do heads/others now?

I was told my head gaskets were leaking, but nothing to worry about right away.

Am I most of the way there for a head gasket change if I am doing the timing cover/crankshaft and oil pan gaskets? I could put off the heads for a while but may as well do it if I have to remove the same things and replace the same seals later, etc. Anything else that I should do while I'm doing the front seals?

Old 01-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Rock Crawling

This is not a comment regarding whether or not you should do headgaskets now vs. later for engine longetivity purposes...but as far as saving effort, it really doesn't matter with the exception of draining the coolant and removing the fan. As far as I can remember, none of the other steps for removing the timing cover and/or oil pan will coincide with headgaskets. There is a seal in the timing cover for the crankshaft, you could go ahead and replace that if you wanted to.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Overlanding

Thanks brian, trying to put off the head gaskets for a little while and want to save a little in the short term should I decide to have someone else do the heads. I dont want to get to involved at this point, as I have limited tools, and limited access to a garage during these cold months.

Anyone know of a good resource for reconditioned heads? Cheaper to have it done locally than shipping/cores?

Old 01-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Overlanding

I realize that might sound a bit contradictory (save now) when I could have a failure. The land rover tech told me its very minor. Perhaps they tell everyone with a certain mileage they are leaking to contract the work.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by svntsvn
Thanks brian, trying to put off the head gaskets for a little while and want to save a little in the short term should I decide to have someone else do the heads. I dont want to get to involved at this point, as I have limited tools, and limited access to a garage during these cold months.

Anyone know of a good resource for reconditioned heads? Cheaper to have it done locally than shipping/cores?

I got mine reconditioned in Fort Mill, SC at a machine shop for under $100. They are off 77 exit 77. If you're interested, PM me and I will try and find the name of the place. They did it on a Saturday and since I live in Charlotte, they told me to wait instead of having to drive back. They were awesome!