Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing my best, but need Land Rover education!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 03:48 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Doing my best, but need Land Rover education!

First, i want to thank anyone for any advise/help that is provided about my new Rover and its many many problems.

so, its actually my girls "Landie". she HAD to have it, and against my better judgement, i couldnt tell her no.
After a month of not really having a vehicle and throwing almost all of my "secret project" savings at her. i for some reason have fallen in love, and now have a mistress.

so i absolutely HAVE to get her running right. i have never owned a land rover before. i knew nothing about them. and still only know very little. i guess on the upside ive owned quite a few cars and not one of them goes to a shop. i have been lucky enough to have been able to do all my own maintenance. how ever i am no professional nor do i claim to be even close.
so im goiing to need some help. if anyone (who knows what they are doing)would be willing, both of us would be very grateful. Due to the pandemic, our fiances were hit hard. we are still struggling to get back where we once were, but i need this baby to run smoothly (or close to it,as possible) so im able to run my bussiness and make money. so finances are tight. very tight.

Ive gotten the basics covered..(i think)
Plenum Gasket replaced
valve covers replaced
new MAF
new battery
new plus 4 bosch plugs
new cheaper(not cheapest)8mm wires
New coils
i got the transmission service kit from Atlantic British and am going to do that today
changed the oil
oil filter
air filter
and exhaust manifold gaskets i have but still need to install.

i also bought a scanner. Launch crp123x. not happy with it at all. it wont show me the codes... but gives me a description of what a code thrown would be(if that makes sence) andf they ared as follows...
permanent voltage supply fault drive cycle A
rough road signal implausible drive cycle A
Lambda sensor upstream catalyst bank 1 drive cycle c
Lambda sensor upstream catalyst bank 2 drive cycle c
oxy sensor heater upstream cat bank 1 drive cycle c
​​​oxy sensor heater upstream cat bank 2 drive cycle c
catalyst damaging misfire multiple cylinders drive cycle c
catalyst damaging missfire cyl 1 drive cycle c

so. obviously a main issue is the cats. well thats because someone stole them. i wanted to just run straight pipe. because of $$$. but again... i need some more education on the subject. dont know what to do.
any advise, instruction. anything ....thankyou.

-josh-
2001 discovery 2 se7 124,000 miles
im in love

Old 01-22-2022, 05:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

You need cat foolers with cat delete pipes for the secondary o2 sensors you don't want cels.

Also sounds kinda like bad o2 sensors, hard to tell without codes or data logging.

Torque Torque pro 5.99 android app and a 14.99 elm Bluetooth dondle will get you o2 data logging.

Won't get you abs or security info.

Old 01-22-2022, 06:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Post your location. Start with the sticky threads at the top. Some things are irritating, some things are critical.

Critical items.
  • Keep engine cool and well lubricated. Inline thermostat mod is best option for eliminating the problematic factory thermostat but not the only one, you can run without any thermostat with a little inginuity, but don't waste money on replacement factory style thermostats. Oil is easier, just run a 15w40 diesel and you should be fine. Check the coolant level religiously.
  • Monitor engine temps religiously. You can get an ultragauge, or cheaper an ELM327 with the free torque app, or possibly. The torque app is great for reading codes also.

Irritating
  • CEL codes - not a single Check engine light code is critical, most are emissions related save the misfire codes, and those help in troubleshooting misfire.

Cats - you can straight pipe it if you want, but regulations might prevent that. You can get cats on RockAuto for $60 ea if you want.

You might want to read these post as well: