Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

doing some repairs any advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 04:38 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default doing some repairs any advice

I am going to be heading up to Napa tonight and picking up the following parts a thermostat ( these discovery theromostats are strange by the way ) a serpentine belt and a tension pulley should get all three for about 80 anyway if you want to know what happened I'll put the story below otherwise please post any advice or anything I should know about replacing these parts

story.
I took the disco ( 2000 ) from Denver to san Diego and on the way back coming through Vail the belt got dry from the desert air ( it was 115 in Nevada and I figured it could wait to lubed up until I got home but about a block from my house the belt snapped broke the pulley and somehow shot the thermostat into the pulley cutting it all up so I had to start it hit the gas and turn it off and let coast several times but it got me home.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Cool story bro. I hate when my belts get dry from desert air.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:06 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
Cool story bro. I hate when my belts get dry from desert air.
wow great help man thanks. I was assuming that's what it was from since I never had a problem here in Colorado. This is my first car never done work on cars before so there's not much of a point on trying to be smart with people who don't know but are on here trying to find out.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:33 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

I would not get a thermostat at NAPA. Get the genuine OEM 180 degree T stat, grey one.

BPutah, Roversnorth, blah, blah, blah have them.

Cooling system on these cars is not be messed with.

Also, Pick up an extra belt and carry one as a spare.

Pretty straightforward, look in the sticky section on how to bleed cooling system. You will need to do that when you are all done.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Zero, if you have done no car work, you should watch some youtube videos on basic car work techniques. Turning wrenches isn't rocket science, but you can definitely break **** if you don't know what you are doing. Having the right tool for the job is very important. Don't be afraid to ask a question.

First, the service manual is called the RAVE and is available for free. Google 'land rover rave'.

Second, get the 180 degree thermostat (which is different from stock), and as abran sort of alluded to, there are quality control issues with some of the aftermarket thermostats, so you are better off buying an actual Land Rover thermostat. I'm all about buying cheap parts, but not when they suck.

Third, after you replace the thermostat you have to bleed the system. There's a procedure in the RAVE, but another user named jfall has come up with a different method that works pretty well. However, it is somewhat controversial. Some would argue it is a bad idea. I tried it and it worked great. But be gentle when elevating the reservoir - the hard plastic lines that run to the coolant reservoir tend to be brittle.

Fourth, I personally would also replace the other idler pulleys while you are in there. Failed idler pulley leads to slipped belt which leads to overheat. Overheating these trucks leads to blown head gaskets which is $2500 repair. So it's worth a bit of money to try to prevent that.

Finally, these trucks typically need some TLC when you get them. The front drive shaft usually needs to be rebuilt/replaced and the cooling system needs refreshing. Both are important because the first will kill your transmission and the second will kill your engine. Both are very real and must be attended to.

I buy parts from ebay, amazon, and rockauto.com. Ebay surprises some people but there are a ton of new parts on there for fairly cheap. The fact is that these trucks are maintenance intensive. But the upside is they are easier to work on than 99% of the vehicles out there. So if you want to learn, this is a great platform.

Last edited by dr. mordo; 06-20-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:24 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
Zero, if you have done no car work, you should watch some youtube videos on basic car work techniques. Turning wrenches isn't rocket science, but you can definitely break **** if you don't know what you are doing. Having the right tool for the job is very important. Don't be afraid to ask a question.

First, the service manual is called the RAVE and is available for free. Google 'land rover rave'.

Second, get the 180 degree thermostat (which is different from stock), and as abran sort of alluded to, there are quality control issues with some of the aftermarket thermostats, so you are better off buying an actual Land Rover thermostat. I'm all about buying cheap parts, but not when they suck.

Third, after you replace the thermostat you have to bleed the system. There's a procedure in the RAVE, but another user named jfall has come up with a different method that works pretty well. However, it is somewhat controversial. Some would argue it is a bad idea. I tried it and it worked great. But be gentle when elevating the reservoir - the hard plastic lines that run to the coolant reservoir tend to be brittle.

Fourth, I personally would also replace the other idler pulleys while you are in there. Failed idler pulley leads to slipped belt which leads to overheat. Overheating these trucks leads to blown head gaskets which is $2500 repair. So it's worth a bit of money to try to prevent that.

Finally, these trucks typically need some TLC when you get them. The front drive shaft usually needs to be rebuilt/replaced and the cooling system needs refreshing. Both are important because the first will kill your transmission and the second will kill your engine. Both are very real and must be attended to.

I buy parts from ebay, amazon, and rockauto.com. Ebay surprises some people but there are a ton of new parts on there for fairly cheap. The fact is that these trucks are maintenance intensive. But the upside is they are easier to work on than 99% of the vehicles out there. So if you want to learn, this is a great platform.
hey I didn't see this untill I just finished my worm but yeah I'm obviously familliar with a wrench, tools, etc I've been arround it all my life but I'm 17 and I've had this truck for what will be a year next week and have just never had to do any work on it what so ever.... Its been flawless up untill last week and I did get all Napa parts but they are guaranteed and it was a 180 degree thermostat the only tho g that's ever went wrong on my rover was that the cruise control has never worked which I don't use anyway but thanks again for the insight

Old 06-21-2014, 12:33 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by abran
I would not get a thermostat at NAPA. Get the genuine OEM 180 degree T stat, grey one.

BPutah, Roversnorth, blah, blah, blah have them.

Cooling system on these cars is not be messed with.

Also, Pick up an extra belt and carry one as a spare.

Pretty straightforward, look in the sticky section on how to bleed cooling system. You will need to do that when you are all done.
yeha thanks I didn't end up seeing this untill after I was done but I did all Napa parts the thermostat is 180 degrees and guaranteed it waspretty straight forward and it went pretty quick except routing the belt was a pain in the you know what . Had no problems on the test drive the gauge went up towards high after about a mile but once the thermostat and everything started pumping coolant it dropped back down to normal. I didn't bleed anything out but drove it and its been like normal no problems.... Is it really necessary?

Old 06-21-2014, 12:34 AM
Overlanding

and also just to say I apologize for the spelling issues im having to access this site through my phone and I can't see anything im typing after the first sentence because the boxes won't scroll down on the page so I can see ot

Old 06-21-2014, 01:08 AM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Serpentine Belt Routing Diagram For Discovery Series 2

route the belts the correct way, the link has with ace and without

Old 06-21-2014, 01:09 AM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

bleeding is also highly suggested as an air bubble can get stuck in the heater core and cause issues.

Quick Reply: doing some repairs any advice