Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't lend your disco to ANYONE

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011 | 06:21 PM
|
4th Gear
Question Don't lend your disco to ANYONE

Being a nice dad, I lent my 01 disco to my son while his Audi was in the shop. He ran it out of coolant (and gas too I think) so now I have new heads (cracked), new valves (burnt) new water pump (melted) and new radiator (just for good measure). I also have a much lighter wallet and Codes.. So the question is, can a P0505 IACV code/malfunction also cause 1171 system too lean, 0101 Mass/Volume air flow and 0154 O2 circuit no activity? It seems as thought they're all at least semi-related. I'm a bit new to all the OBD stuff, about 9 months ago was my first exposure to this type of maintenance. (don't laugh or throw stones - the other car in the driveway still requires setting the dwell, timing, and ballancing the carbs - '74 Jensen Healey...)
Any and all help/advice is GREATLY appreciated.

P.S. Lic. plate frame on the Jensen sez
"The parts falling on the road are Genuine English parts."

Thanks !

Chris.

Old 04-09-2011 | 06:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

WTH? He just kept running it with the engine running hot?

Old 04-09-2011 | 06:47 PM
TReK

I think its time for your son to learn a lesson

Old 04-09-2011 | 07:03 PM

i think its time you make your son give you a weekend of time to help repair whatevers left that needs fixing! if the MAF is dead that could easily cause your o2 codes.

Old 04-09-2011 | 07:18 PM
Winching

I don't even let my wife drive mine.

Old 04-09-2011 | 07:19 PM
|
4th Gear

I said a couple of stronger things than "WTH". Suffice to say his tail is firmly emplanted between his legs and and definately realizes the gravity of his actions. As for the week-end of free labor - at $10 an hour, he owes me 32.5 eight-hour days of of what-ever I need done!

Thanks for the MAF idea. I cleaned the IACV this am and 28 miles later had the codes back. I'll try the MAF next.

C.

Old 04-09-2011 | 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

My arm-chair advice for today is: Because of all the recent major work, I'd double check that the connections to the sensors in question are snapped together tight, and also make sure none of the wires in the harnesses are pinched or rubbed bare.

Old 04-09-2011 | 08:38 PM
|
4th Gear

Thanks Jafir, it's always the "little" quality assurance things that get overlooked and, I'm guilty.. I haven't checked them yet. Thanks for the reminder.

C.

Old 04-10-2011 | 11:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Damn just tell him to religiously watch the gauges. I learned that real quick. You never know when something's going to leak.

Old 04-10-2011 | 04:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default different take

I have a different take on this chris......There really is no sound running truck that will run out of coolant....except for only one that i can think of and that is a Land rover with a POS V8... If you have owned one of these for some time you know as well as most as that they are cannon foders.... My wife and not one of my three children would consider taking my LR..they would prefer to walk... You really cant blame him..only yourself....religiously watch gages...WTF kind of life is that...Owning a LR requires a heavy wallet or should i say ....money you could burn otherwise and most of all ...all of your spare time.... Thats why when they are new most people cant afford them......

Give your son a break...imagine it was your daughter and she broke down in a bad area....

Last edited by vandev; 04-10-2011 at 08:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Don't lend your disco to ANYONE