Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door lock actuator - anyone tried to repair??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 10:25 AM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Repair Mini Cooper Electric Door Lock Actuator / Locking Mechanism: 18 Steps (with Pictures)

Go check this link out.
I didn't fix the bad motor I just swapped the brush end of the superlock motor over to the regular lock motor. I think I had the altered something on it to get it to fit the in the housing were the regular lock motor plugs in?

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...e-build-71687/

Old 08-27-2017, 04:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by zoltan7
I wonder how hard it is to get the actuator out of the door. I've heard so many different people say that you need to take window out and some say only loosen two bolts lol
I just did this on the front passenger door, and I did need to lift the window frame up about 8 inches (or whatever...the frame post needs to lift above the actuator), but didn't have to pull the whole window/frame out of the door entirely.

There are 5 bolts to loosen for the window frame to lift up.

2 bolts are on the frame posts connected to the very bottom of your door (accessed via the doorframe interior, not underneath the door). These are 10mm.

1 bolt is on the inside edge of your door at the top just above the hinge. I used pliers so I don't know its size.
1 bolt is on the other inside edge of your door above the actuator door latch. This is torx/star.

1 bolt is behind the door plastic in a recessed hole just below the black triangle plastic mirror electric connection cover. I used maybe 1/2" or 5/16" socket...I've already forgotten, sorry.

Speaking of which, Rover has some electric cable slack so you *may* not have to pop that black plastic triangle cover off to disconnect your electric mirror connection, but I had to disconnect it on my 2003 D2 so that I could raise the window frame high-enough to get the actuator out.

Honestly, it's not a difficult job. It is a bit tedious but there aren't any show-stoppers that require any expertise or special tools (assuming that you have the torx/star bits).

Last edited by No Doubt; 08-27-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:40 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Does anyone have a current link for actuator motors?
I need to replace passenger front and driver rear.
I'de rather rebuild them than replace them.
If no one has a link, I'll take them to Radio Shack as mentioned, and see if I can match something.
That'll be a few weeks, as I have other projects in front of it. Was gonna buy motors now if I could find them.
Thanks

Old 01-22-2018, 08:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by User
Tito is right on, that way I found easiest and quickest, had a helper lift the window frame up and from there it was only a couple of quirky steps fishing it out from its little hole. If I'm being honest the whole process is very easy, if not a bit tedious (maybe because it was 95F out?)..

Going to take apart the actuator tomorrow and see what motor to source, for durability and longevity preferably, along with a solid supplier so future readers can still get them.

Did you ever find the right motor and supplier?

Old 05-02-2018, 06:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I ordered a few motors and never did get them installed, ended up with a new actuator after the brittle plastic fell apart trying to get the actuator apart. I will see if I can still replace the motor to see which one fits.

Will update

Old 10-03-2018, 09:11 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bump

Any update on this?

I need to replace the actuators on both rear doors. I haven’t opened them up yet and I was hoping to get the new motors before I did. Any aliexpress/Amazon/eBay links to the correct actuator motors?

Old 10-03-2018, 05:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,404 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by BackInA88
Repair Mini Cooper Electric Door Lock Actuator / Locking Mechanism: 18 Steps (with Pictures)

Go check this link out.
I didn't fix the bad motor I just swapped the brush end of the superlock motor over to the regular lock motor. I think I had the altered something on it to get it to fit the in the housing were the regular lock motor plugs in?

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...e-build-71687/
This! Lexus/Toyota motors all over ebay.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:28 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh!? I skimmed over that one. I’ll try that first.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

I bought some Mabuchi FC-280PC-22125 motors from ebay as indicated by the Cooper Mini write-up and a Kia FC-280SC-20150 . They spin in reverse so when I press lock the door unlocks and vice-versa. Based on the data sheets this is the proper way to view the motor direction and these motors both spin counter-clockwise, which should work for the superlock, not the normal lock. The one on the left with the gear is a Kia motor, the gear doesn't match up with ours and the shaft is only a 10mm shaft.

I am about to place a large ($100 minimum) order with a company for a clockwise motor, I will be putting them up for sale on here once I get them.

Last edited by Sandman614; 10-04-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Now to just put the motor in, for the 2nd time. I hope I can get the Jb-weld to release on the incorrect motor..

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (10-17-2018)

Quick Reply: Door lock actuator - anyone tried to repair??