Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door lock actuator repair: Anyone have the part number for the Radio Shack DC Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Door lock actuator repair: Anyone have the part number for the Radio Shack DC Motor?

Anyone have the part number (or a description?) for the Radio Shack electric motor recommended in this thread on the DIY door lock actuator repair. Tearing my door apart today or tomorrow.

Link to original thread on procedure: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-new-one-3375/

Brian in Austin

Last edited by bcolins; 10-06-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

isn't that for a d1 only?

Old 10-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Radio Scrap's web site only has about five motors - here is link to one. Suggest purchase motor before door torn apart. Perhaps two sizes. Return wrong size. I think this one is actually rated for 12 volt operation, others may be lower volts. RadioShack® Super Speed 9-18VDC Hobby Motor - RadioShack.com

Their part numbers will vary over a period of time, so a post six months ago may have a new stock number today.

See write up from other site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/300233...covery/page-11

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 10-06-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by agthird
isn't that for a d1 only?
Can anyone confirm this?

Old 10-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Doesn't the D2 have a second motor, for the superlock function?

Old 10-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Winching
Default door is now apart, and actuator is out, now need procedure for dismantling actuator.

OK guys, got the actuator out. I now need the procedure for tearing the actuator case apart, replacing the motor and then resealing it. The truck is not garaged and we do have a fair amount of car vandalism and theft here,...so hoping to get it back together before dark today.

Thanks,

Brian

Old 10-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

If you go back up a couple of posts to the link I had for the cardomain site, at the bottom of that page is a photo of the actuator. Click it on and the enlarged one shows a case that is sealed, but where to pry to pop it apart. May not be exact same one, but most likely similar if from same OEM supplier. Think of all the beer you can buy with the money you'll save!

Old 10-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
If you go back up a couple of posts to the link I had for the cardomain site, at the bottom of that page is a photo of the actuator. Click it on and the enlarged one shows a case that is sealed, but where to pry to pop it apart. May not be exact same one, but most likely similar if from same OEM supplier. Think of all the beer you can buy with the money you'll save!
Savanah buzz, not following you. Are you talking about a picture in this thread? Or some other thread??

Could you copy and paste a URL for the page where that picture is?

Thanks,
Brian

Old 10-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

here you go http://www.cardomain.com/ride/300233...covery/page-11 go to bottom and click on picture of actuator and it will go full screen.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 10-06-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The D2 actuator doesn't look like that. Must be a D1 on that site. The problem will be with the motor that is facing vertical. My theory is that the plastic washer against the back of the motors shaft wheres out and creates a short. This "short" makes some nice pretty sparks which produces tons of carbon burning up the brushes. I've repaired several now by just cleaning the brushes off. What's interesting is Land Rover used 2 different motors in the same actuator. You can't use the brushes off the other one in the same actuator. That stinks cause the "other one" looks stronger.

Oh, and you'll break tabs pulling the case apart. Don't worry, it's par for the course..

Quick Reply: Door lock actuator repair: Anyone have the part number for the Radio Shack DC Motor?