Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door lock cylinder wafers

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 10:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by ahab
I was merely throwing this out there for a general PSA for anyone who might be struggling with the two key thing. May sure you take pictures when you do the ignition cylinder. That's a different animal altogether.

I have a box full of cylinders and wafers somewhere but I got tired of having a dozen different cylinders in various stages of dismantle and/or repair in my office, so I boxed everything up and stuffed it somewhere out in the garage a couple months ago. I soon as I can put my hands on that box I'd be happy to send you as many as you want. It may take me a few days however, the last 15 minutes turned up nothing.
I Understand. I'll definitely take pictures, hopefully I can get the new wafers and get us a connection to a supply of new. I'm off to Land Rover now to get my code, proof of ownership in hand.

Are yours from used cylinders? No rush

Old 03-03-2021, 10:47 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

Here's a link to a wafer kit available on Amazon. It's just the first one I found. The search was for "wafer lock rekeying kit." There are likely others on Amazon and probably on eBay.

Amazon Amazon

Old 03-03-2021, 01:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Are the Land Rover wafers the same as the Ford ones? Do the door lock cylinders use the same wafers as the ignition cylinder?

Test?

Edit:
That was weird, I couldn't see the latest posts until I posted.

Last edited by Sandman614; 03-03-2021 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

I noticed the same thing. I got email notification of your post but it never showed up so i thought you deleted it. The main thread list indicated that you were the most recent poster but when clicking it I was taken to a much older post. Must be a database problem.

Anyway, I have new and used wafers (somewhere) but they are BMW wafers. Looking at the pics in this thread however I would say they’re identical. I’m pretty familiar with them. Which also addresses the most recent post about the Ford wafers. I believe they are all the same. I’ll get back out to the shop and dig mine out as soon as i can.

Old 03-10-2021, 11:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I have found the kits I posted previously from a US seller. I don't know how many the seller has or how long they'll be in stock. When I receive them I'll post up my findings.

Old 03-23-2021, 01:19 PM
Pro Wrench

Found my stash. The wafers are numbered 1 through 4, and are 1.5mm thick, 14.6mm tall, 7mm wide and 9mm at the widest part (which rides on the spring). BMW uses 11 wafers in my generation of cars, and the last 4 have a very narrow nub on the driver's door cylinder only. You can see them in the separate bag on the left. This is part of the valet key setup, which will not unlock the glovebox or the trunk. They do not use a retainer wafer. In the close up picture on the right they look a little different than the Ford kit linked above and more like the LR wafers, although they are not identical in the profile of the width. It the measurements line up they may work. Let me know if you need some.

Old 03-23-2021, 10:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

This is very interesting to see. I am so confused. The door lock rekeying / wafers completely baffle me. Rebuild an engine... no problem. Door lock wafers. I have no idea how they work. Off to YouTube to watch videos to learn.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by nashvegas
This is very interesting to see. I am so confused. The door lock rekeying / wafers completely baffle me. Rebuild an engine... no problem. Door lock wafers. I have no idea how they work. Off to YouTube to watch videos to learn.
Off to youtube and down the various rabbit holes. It's a pretty rudimentary idea, wafers/pins clear a tube tube and allow it to turn. I've got a friend talking to his locksmith neighbor, those talks are going pretty slow as they are both very busy people.

Old 03-24-2021, 08:03 AM
Pro Wrench

It's a very simple concept. Those wafers all have a specific thickness where the number is marked on them (see photo above). If you compare the wafer marked 2 to the one marked 3, you'll notice the area where the stamping is located is slightly larger on the 3. When you slide all those wafers into the various slits in the tumbler it will require a key with a specific profile to raise and lower them the exact amount so that none of the wafer protrude above or below the tumbler when the key is inserted. The tiny springs make sure they're all protruding when no key is inserted. When you have the correct key, the the tumbler is allowed to spin inside the cylinder.

When you use the wrong key some of the wafers stick up and prevent the tumbler from turning.

This is why I commented that you really don't need all the wafers, a couple will suffice. Or, if you don't use any wafers the the tumbler will always spin with any key, but who would know...

Old 07-19-2021, 10:52 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All new cars have such problems.

Quick Reply: Door lock cylinder wafers