Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

..:: The Door Lock Situation ::..

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 02:35 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ..:: The Door Lock Situation ::..

...for a long while now, cargo door, front passenger and rear passenger door locks do not unlock when using the key, unless manually unlocking from the inside at the door locks, but do lock though ...I was living with that with no prob.

Today, after doing some errands and locking and unlocking using my key, when I finally arrived home and tried to lock the car, the key just turns to the left and right freely, it does not engage, thus not locking... so car remained unlock.

When inside, the lock/unlock button does work, but I see the driver's lock barely moving.

Before getting a screwdriver to pop the door panel out, any hints as to what I may encounter to get things back to normal?

Feedback will be very much appreciated, thanks in advance! ;-]#

Old 07-02-2016, 09:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Maybe the rod is disconnected inside the door? It should go from the key cylinder, down to the locking mechanism on the door latch. In a lot of vehicles, they are just held in with plastic clips. They can become brittle over time and fall apart.
To be clear, this would only be related to the key not working in the door. And probably the driver door lock barely moving.

Last edited by disc oh no; 07-02-2016 at 09:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 10:42 AM
Winching

...found the culprit of my key turning freely, its the rod that connects the mechanism to the actuator! ...and from what I've read, unable to get just the rod, but the whole door handle mechanism.

---

...broken "R33077" and/or "CXB103030".

First thought is to "Glue-it" as a "temporary solution", so I will first "Super Glue" the broken little end-piece to the rod, then I'll "JB-Weld" them together thoroughly, in the hopes that it will hold, at least 'till I can get a more permanent solution...

Second thought would be to try and recreate the piece by using a nail and a file, as I read in a post on another forum...

Third thought would be to try and buy this piece alone, but the links I've visited are no longer active...

Fourth thought would be to just give up and buy the door handle, which should not be fair for a less than 5" metal rod with a funny ending!

So feedback on my approaches would be very much appreciated, hopefully by tomorrow noon, since back on Tuesday I would have to hit the road back to work and shouldn't be leaving the truck unlocked at work, or anywhere else...

Unfortunately FOB is not working on my truck, so have to rely on manually locking and unlocking the truck, thanks in advance! ;-]#

Last edited by adolfojbonilla; 07-03-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by adolfojbonilla
...found the culprit of my key turning freely, its the rod that connects the mechanism to the actuator! ...and from what I've read, unable to get just the rod, but the whole door handle mechanism.

---

I've been in the same boat.

You can find that part on eBay for about 20 bucks.

There is a thread somewhere showing how someone cut and modified a Phillips screwdriver to replace it.

...broken "R33077" and/or "CXB103030".

First thought is to "JB-Weld-it" as a "temporary solution", but is best if I could get the remaining part out of the mechanism so I may weld them together outside, thing is that I don't know how to get that tiny pin out...

Second thought would be to "JB-Weld-it" without removing the remaining part; thing is that if they do not weld together this way, it may break again and render the mechanism useless, since there will be a lot of welding goo in place...

Third thought would be to try and recreate the piece by using a nail and a file, as I read in a post on another forum...

Fourth thought would be to try and buy this piece alone, but the links I've visited are no longer active...

Fifth thought would be to just give up and buy the door handle, which should not be fair for a less than 5" metal rod with a funny ending!

So feedback on removing the tiny pin or a better product than JB-Weld would be very much appreciated, hopefully by tomorrow noon, since back on Tuesday I would have to hit the road back to work and shouldn't be leaving the truck unlocked at work, or anywhere else...

Unfortunately FOB is not working on my truck, so have to rely on manually locking and unlocking the truck, thanks in advance! ;-]#
Oh heck I typed I'm the wrong spot above.

There is a thread somewhere showing how someone cut and modified a Phillips screwdriver to replace it.

adolfojbonilla (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 11:39 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Oh heck I typed I'm the wrong spot above.

...thanks Charlie_V! ...read about a nail being filed to the shape and size, but a Phillips screwdriver would be a better starting point, thanks for that! ...I'll sure feel like someone trying to break out of jail with all that filing! ;-]#

I was able to retrieve the little broken tip, so I'll try and glue them together, and hopefully in two days it will be strong enough to put back and be able to hold, let's see!

Last edited by adolfojbonilla; 07-03-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:13 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by disc oh no
Maybe the rod is disconnected inside the door? It should go from the key cylinder, down to the locking mechanism on the door latch. In a lot of vehicles, they are just held in with plastic clips. They can become brittle over time and fall apart.
To be clear, this would only be related to the key not working in the door. And probably the driver door lock barely moving.
...thanks Disco-Oh-No! ...it actually was the cast metal rod that goes from the cylinder to the actuator on the driver's side; the plastic clip you mentioned seems to be fine and did not seem brittle. But I will check the front passenger one, hopefully that's what is preventing that side's lock to go up and down, but driver's side is most important now, thanks again!

Old 07-03-2016, 02:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

No problem. It sounds like you have a few things going on with your locks. Just take your time and work your way through it.
Good luck!

adolfojbonilla (07-04-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 06:08 PM
Winching

...the attempt to "Super-Glue" and "JB-Weld" it failed, maybe not enough time left to cure? ...maybe it is imposible to do it in this type of material? ...oh well, off to Home Depot and see what I can find there before tomorrow's fireworks! ...I'm thinking either the nail and the file, or some metal sleeve that I could snuggly slide over the broken rod to reinforce it, since it's just the tip with the hole that's giving me a headache! ;-/#

Old 07-03-2016, 09:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle

It might be worth it to just get one from eBay, or maybe a salvage yard. It's always difficult to make or repair small parts like that.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by adolfojbonilla
...the attempt to "Super-Glue" and "JB-Weld" it failed, maybe not enough time left to cure? ...maybe it is imposible to do it in this type of material? ...oh well, off to Home Depot and see what I can find there before tomorrow's fireworks! ...I'm thinking either the nail and the file, or some metal sleeve that I could snuggly slide over the broken rod to reinforce it, since it's just the tip with the hole that's giving me a headache! ;-/#
I had already ordered the part when I took a close look at the mechanism but it looked to me like if you have a Phillips screw driver that fits in the door handle and has a big enough end to turn the mechanism, it would be easy to cut it to length and drill a hole for the retaining pin. The replacement part is that same cast metal and I'm sure a screwdriver would be more durable.

When your turn the screwdriver it also disables the alarm. So it also occurred to me that our trucks aren't as secure as advsertised since you can just punch the lock and open/disarm with a screwdriver.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 07-04-2016 at 12:56 AM.

Quick Reply: ..:: The Door Lock Situation ::..