Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door seals ? Cheaper alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 05:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Door seals ? Cheaper alternative?

I have an annoying air leak from the top of both my back doors. It’s loud and giving me a sore neck now that it’s getting freezing out. Lol.
I see the actual replacement seals are quite expensive. At work sometimes we’ve purchased whole rolls of weather stripping that’s very similar for the price of 1 door seal. Any idea if it’s possible to get a full roll of our disco 2 profile and cut to suit?

another option/ idea is that the back door window tops should/ could be bent in a little at the tops? Any experience or other ideas?

Old 10-22-2018, 06:28 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Get a tubular foam insulation at home depot. They vary in diameter and insert it between the runber seal.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 879 Likes on 637 Posts

I've just found good ones at local boneyards and swapped them out.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:59 PM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

This is definitely one of the areas where Land Rover failed, and even carried a reputation for failing badly. On the Series and Defenders, the door seals are very poor, and it means when you drive long, dusty tracks, everything inside gets coated with dirt. The RR and Discovery 1 were really no better. They're just terrible. The Disco 2 had slightly improved seals but they quality and consistency was spotty. I have D2 seals on my Discovery 1 but the the LR door, the seal it fitted properly, but requires to slam the door or it will not close all the way. If something like that meant it sealed tightly, I could forgive it, but it's a poor seal. I have another brand truck from the same 20-year old era and the seals work great. I also have a newer car with dual seals - brilliant. In fact, it's triple-sealed if you count the little rubber lip in the gap. The other two sets of seals are full seals. That's the kind of thing Land Rover could have been innovating, not for luxury, but for offroad driving - the thing they were supposed to know something about.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:08 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,218 Likes on 870 Posts

Are you sure it's not your window glass vertical guides? They slide down over time and cause air to get redirected onto your neck. Mine dropped down about an inch, didn't notice it...resealed doors with weather stripping. No change of course. Finally, l took a look at things with my glasses on. I was like..."you dumb***...there's the problem"...lol.

This talk that l have with myself happens more than l would like to admit...

​​​​​​​ Brian.