Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door speaker replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 11:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts
Default Door speaker replacement

I went to replace the 6.5" door speakers(not the rear door subs), and found there is a special connector on the speaker. Unlike the rear door subs, which was basically unplug the speaker and plug in the new one. I have the se7 with the high line alpine system, and the two speakers on each of the back doors are run in parallel, which explains why the connectors have 4 wires going into the connector. My options for hooking up the speakers are either cutting off the connector and soldering the speaker wires that came with them, or leaving on the connector and splicing into the wires. I know metra makes adapters that will plug into the oem connectors and and then to aftermarket speaker(I used them on the Silverado), but there is nothing for the land rover, naturally. So I went to Crutchfield and found there is a special tap that taps into the speaker wire without cutting it and looks to be the best way to go. They are called Posi-tap connectors by PosiProducts. They are pricey, but found them on Amazon Prime, for less.
Amazon.com: Lockitt Posi-Tap 6pc pack #605/6 16-18 awg Blue: Automotive Amazon.com: Lockitt Posi-Tap 6pc pack #605/6 16-18 awg Blue: Automotive

Old 05-09-2015, 11:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle

In a desire to fully understand the speaker wiring of my Disco, I went to the diagrams and think i have it. Now again this applies to the Alpine high line system on an 03.
The 6.5" woofers in the front doors and the two subs in the Rear door sub box, are on a sub channel, the midrange in the front doors and tweeter in the post, are run in parallel, front right and left channels respectively, the back door 6.5" and the tweeter are run in parallel to the rear channels right and left respectively. Now I understand that when you wire two speakers in parallel, you end up with half the rated ohms, 2-4ohm speakers in parallel end up being rated at 2 total ohms. Now I am trying to understand how the two 6.5" speakers in the front doors and the two in the sub box on the rear door are run. I read, you can run 4 speakers Parallel and in series. that is lets say the front right woofer and the right sub in the sub box in parallel and the front left woofer and the left sub in parallel, then connect the two right in series with the two left. This way you would end up with 4-4ohm speakers with a total of 4 ohms total.
http://cie-wc.edu/Series_Parallel_9_14.pdf

Old 05-10-2015, 12:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Speakers
Some vehicles will not have all the speakers, the type and location of speakers fitted depends on the trim level and
ICE options specified for the vehicle.
A-post speakers LH/RH (if fitted)
The A-post speakers are a high range type and have a power rating of:
l Mid line system A-post speakers have a power rating of 15 watts and an impedance of 4 Ω.
l High line system A-post speakers have a power rating of 30 watts and an impedance of 4 Ω.
Upper front and rear door speakers LH/RH (high line system only)
The upper door speaker is a mid-range type and has a power rating of 30 watts and an impedance of 4 Ω.
Lower front door speakers LH/RH
l The base and mid line systems are fitted with full-range door speakers with a power rating of 15 watts and an
impedance of 4 Ω
l The high line system is fitted with a low-range door speaker with a power rating of 30 watts and an impedance
of 4 Ω.
Lower rear door speaker LH/RH
l The base and mid line systems are fitted with full-range door speakers with a power rating of 15 watts and an
impedance of 4 Ω
l The high line system is fitted with a low-range door speaker with a power rating of 30 watts and an impedance
of 4 Ω.
Low range tail door speakers (high line system only)
The low range tail door speakers have a power rating of 30 watts and has an impedance of 4 Ω.

Last edited by Joemamma1954; 05-10-2015 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The two front 6.5s and the tailgate "subs" are all on seperate channels. I have tracked them back to the actual connection to the amp and they have their own pin connections into the amp.

I have the same question you do, how is the front mid/high and the rear door 6.5 and highs NOT running at 2 ohm on those channels? I have verified they are running in parallel. I know piezos do not affect ohm load, but the tweets are not piezos. Only thing I can think is the factory amp can handle a two ohm load, which considering the frequency range outputs, not a big deal since I think the demands would rarely go down that far.

Remember its not just OHM, its nominal impedance your really dealing with, so if you are active crossed hi passed, then you can play with the "Ohm load" more.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If you look at the electric schematic, the subs are wired parallel, but it is done within the amp. It shows they all connect to 1 channel, and in parallel. If you look at the other 4 channels, they each go to one channel, the 4 subs all connect parallel then go to 1 channel. I will post the two pages, when at my MacBook.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954
If you look at the electric schematic, the subs are wired parallel, but it is done within the amp. It shows they all connect to 1 channel, and in parallel. If you look at the other 4 channels, they each go to one channel, the 4 subs all connect parallel then go to 1 channel. I will post the two pages, when at my MacBook.
Interesting. never looked at the amp schematics that close. That really doesn't make any since, are you sure front right and rear right are not some series circuits mixed in there somewhere. 4 4 ohm speakers handling low frequencies all paralleled together would smoke most amps!

If they were 8 ohm drivers, that would still be a 2 ohm load, and I am pretty sure they are 4 ohms.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle

My earlier post was from Rave manual. It states all speakers are 4 ohm. I checked, because I read on another post that the tweeters were 8 ohm. Please understand, I am not arguing with you. I combed thru the schematic, looking for any point where series could be found. I wish there was more info on our amp. Maybe, if I search enough, I can find what we are dealing with. I do think, they are 5 channel,

Old 05-10-2015, 08:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Oh, not arguing. It has been a quest to figure out this system for over a year. After combing thru manuals and finding some that completely discredit the other, I figured I would figure it out when I ripped and redid the system.

Thats when more questions than answers came :-)

Keep digging

Old 05-10-2015, 09:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default amp diagram

Door speaker replacement-subs.jpg

i put the two pages together and some of the colors of wires in the middle are upside down, but it shows they are parallel in the amp. as far as i can tell.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle

That is insane. That is a 1 ohm load!

Quick Reply: Door speaker replacement