Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dorman 620-112 fitment

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 09:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Dorman 620-112 fitment

My 2004 D2 was in for service and I had my mechanic install a Hayden 2991 fan clutch and a Dorman 620-112 fan. the shop called me to say that the Dorman fan wouldn't fit and they would re-use my 02 fan. It seems like many have used the Hayden/Dorman set-up. Is this combination a straight bolt on or is there something special that needs to be done so that the Dorman fan works with the Hayden fan clutch? I see that there is a metal spacer/ring in the box and the fan can be oriented either way. Curious how this is bolted together.

Thank you.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

It drops right into place and bolts directly onto the 2991 fan clutch with zero issues. I've installed to many to count on 99-04 D2's. Maybe they tried to run the PN to see if it was compatible?? Because if that's the case it will not show up being listed as fitting. However put the 2991 fan clutch on it, and it bolts right on with zero issues.

Only one friend of mine had issues after an off road trip. His 620-112 just barely made contact with the upper fan shroud and it was later determined he had one broken engine mount and he was missing two screws for the upper shroud.

Old 03-04-2020, 11:55 PM
Received 1,148 Likes on 794 Posts

100% fit, I need to replace mine has it has a crack starting, looks like a impact on the blades edges is the cause. Bolts up with no issue

Old 03-05-2020, 01:08 AM
Mudding
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't have that exact setup, but I do have a spectra 10 blade fan and a 2781 equivalent. I did have to open up the center hole on the fan a little to get it to sit right but other than that no modifications. The quality of the fan itself could be better and I may even get rid of it, but it did help keep my temps a lot more stable and at 212 or below until I redid the rest of my system.

Maybe they ran into a similar issue as mine and didn't want to mess with it? Or if the part number isn't approved for the vehicle some places won't install it due to liability issues I'd assume.

I'd just do it yourself honestly as it is really simple. Take the fan shroud off, get a 36mm(?) spanner on it where it threads onto the water pump, and see if it'll wanna come off. If it's a little difficult, you can get a 10mm(?) wrench on one of the bolts holding the water pump pulley on and hold it still while getting the fan to break loose. Make sure you use threadlocker on the fan to clutch bolts too.

The 2791 is a severe duty clutch. It's gonna be engaged most of the time and you will notice a power and mpg loss along with extra noise. Mine sounds like a dang humvee these days with the heavy duty. Are you having coolant temp issues? If so I'd get the rest of the system up to par as soon as you can if you haven't yet as the fan is more of a band aid if the issues are elsewhere. I myself am considering going back to a regular duty type like the 2771 and the stock fan or atleast something of more quality now that I have my cooling system squared away. Or I may just get all 3 types of clutches just to see which one I like most lol.

Actually now that I check the part numbers the 2991 is apprently specific for the disco 2. Hmmm maybe I have my number mixed up or they are interchangable. Interesting

Last edited by 11chuck; 03-05-2020 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I just installed exactly this setup. Took about 30 minutes and 100% works with no modifications.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:11 AM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

I have them too, and they both fit and work fine.
Maybe they just couldn't be bothered to get bolts to put them together??

Old 03-05-2020, 07:16 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

The Dorman 620-112 fan I installed on my 4.0L V8 had spacer that came with it. It took me awhile to figure out that I didn't need to install the spacer since it didn't fit correctly with the spacer on. Maybe your mechanics thought the same thing and scrapped the whole install.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Spacer is not used (that is used on some Fords if I'm not mistaken). If I had to guess they ran the P/N and it did not come back saying it would fit. There are SO many things on our D1/D2's that show as not compatible, but in reality yes they do. I honestly hope the 620-112 P/N never gets associated with an 00-02 P38 RR or 99-04 LR because it won't stay at 25.00 for long! Kinda like the Hyundai Purge Control Valve, which you used to pickup from the local Hyundai dealership for under 20.00. I think someone figured out LR peep's were buying them vs putting em on a Hyundai because the last few folks that went by to pick one up were told 75.00..... Needless to say they went online and got one for under 20.00.

Old 03-06-2020, 03:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Guys-
I want to thank all of you for your insights and help. Today I installed the Dorman fan with no problems. Not sure what my mechanic did but everything seems good when I installed the fan. I'm looking forward to seeing how it affects my temperatures on my scan gauge.

Thanks again guys!

The following 2 users liked this post by NVDiscovery:
JUKE179r (03-07-2020), Richard Gallant (03-07-2020)
Old 07-24-2021, 03:24 AM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Another Dorman 620-112 + Duralast 922786 fanclutch

Had to drill out the dorman Fan to work with the duralast 922786 hardware.

posting here as it’s the top Google result, and better to have in 1 thread imo.

both ordered from autozone for the lifetime warranty(personal choice, if it fails I can stop and grab another, not an endorsement).

Initial Summary Review:
8 out of 10.
- Wish the Dorman didn’t need modification.
- that’s it. Being the old one survived 20 years.. I’ll update temp performance next week. (Just upgraded radiator).

Duralast 922786:
box came with Hardware and a spacer.

pics of old vs new (apologies for the messy garage just moved).

New dorman ontop of oem 2001 fan. Looks to line up same size

Side by side comparison. Dorman is longer / measurements at the end.

Ok I had to drill out the larger holes to work with the Duralast. Had to deburr the holes. To ensure it is flush when bolted up with the new clutch.

Before deburr (this could cause vibration & oscillation) since it wouldn’t be flush with the clutch surface.

Deburred! Flat smooth contact. I also deburred the other end a bit, not completely since the hardware and lock washer would do the rest…. Some locktite in the threads for good measuere.

Assembled side by side shot.. all old on left (yeah I noticed one of my fan blades broke off… and shop didn’t say anything 🤦🏻‍♂️).

Dorman 3.2inches ? About a 1/4th an inch more surface area? Blade pitch looks about the same. I don’t have a proper measurement tool for the pitch… 😅

Low profile shots. The Duralast has a longer bolt… it should be near the same mount point…

2001 Discovery 2 fan blade just under 2.75inches

Ugh fan. measurements aren’t in the proper displayed order. Sorry… will fix whe I get back to an old computer 😝

Last edited by Seattled2; 07-24-2021 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Typos dang 📲

Quick Reply: Dorman 620-112 fitment