Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Down but not out, 2001 disco.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Down but not out, 2001 disco.

I don't post much here, but I have used this site to help keep my disco the best it can be. so Thank you all for that.

I think some of you might appreciate this;

So, Yesterday I took the truck to town fare tire for new shoes. (Wrangler silent armours 255/70/16).

The installer drove the disco around back and began to pull it into the bay when he hit the gas instead of the break and crashed into the bay door.....crunchning the brush guard and bending the fender and hood amoungst other things. I cought him with a crow bar trying to fix what he could. i told hiom to leave it alone.

The manger said "dont worry well fix it, no problem". That was until i showed him the estimate today. $2900.00 plus. then he said i dont think we did that much damage.

I pointed out on the etimate that the price of the landrover brush guard is $915.00 alone.

Anyway, I filed a claim and it will be like new end of next week.

Jay

Old 05-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, your case proves my theory that brush guards are just a magnifier, what could be a dent in one spot becomes a whole front issue. Glad you are having the whole thing taken care of.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:25 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

time for judge judy, seriously though take them to small claims court, you'll win.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:07 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

That's pretty much a slam dunk case in small claims court. They don't have a leg to stand on. Attempting to fix it with a crow bar is an admission of guilt, not that there is any question they caused the damage.

So did you get the tires? I have Silent Armors on my Dodge and love them. They are great in snow and ice.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:02 AM
Three Wheeling

I'm letting the insruance comapny handle it from here. I wonder if i can lease an lr3, while my disco is down.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you file the claim with your insurance company they will repair your vehicle under your collision coverage minus your deductible. Then they will "subrogate" against the tire shop for reimbursement of expenses. If/when they get the full reimbursement they will give your deductible back to you. The dollar amount should be high enough for them to aggressively pursue subrogation.

There is a coverage auto repair shops can buy called "garagekeepers" that pays for damage to customer cars. Even the basic form of this coverage covers damage if "legally liable" and in this case they would be legally liable. But, the sad fact is not every auto repair shop buys the coverage and basically goes bare.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by grussell
If you file the claim with your insurance company they will repair your vehicle under your collision coverage minus your deductible. Then they will "subrogate" against the tire shop for reimbursement of expenses. If/when they get the full reimbursement they will give your deductible back to you. The dollar amount should be high enough for them to aggressively pursue subrogation.

There is a coverage auto repair shops can buy called "garagekeepers" that pays for damage to customer cars. Even the basic form of this coverage covers damage if "legally liable" and in this case they would be legally liable. But, the sad fact is not every auto repair shop buys the coverage and basically goes bare.
Here in massachusetts we are a no fault state. Unless there is fault of course. my insurance company will be reimbursed from town fair tires insurance.

as far as deductable goes, i have what is called a waiver of deductable, if i am found not responsibele, i do not have to pay the deduct. upfront. my Ins. company pays in full and subrogates later against ther other insuracne company.

J

Old 05-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you're in mass? Where at? I'll be sure to stay away from that shop. =)

Old 05-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by unstable
you're in mass? Where at? I'll be sure to stay away from that shop. =)

On Cape Cod too.

it's in the shop all torn down, i'm not going to put the big wrap around brush guard back on, never did like it much. Instead I'm having the a frame type installed. it's smaller with less protection, but looks nicer IMO.

Route 132, town fair tire.

Cape tire service will match there price, and they are fast and reliable. i just got lazy, now i'm paying the price.