Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drilled/Slotted Rotors or regular

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I love how you guys use number of miles to say how long BRAKE pads last.
They dont wear if you dont use them, drive 100,000 miles a year and they will not wear out because you are driving all highway.
Drive only stop and go driving and they will not last very long.
How long do your pads last on a track day Snafu? How many track days do you get out of a single set of pads?
My work van, I replace the brake pads about every 2 months and I average 1200miles a week.
Cheap pads last about 6 weeks, expensive ones about 8, middle of the road ones about 8.
My point is, you cannot judge brake pad life by the amount of miles driven with a given set of pads, all you can say is how well you like them or not and how well you think they stop you over your old worn out brakes that you just replaced.
Kinda like saying your brand new tires handle better in the rain than your old bald tires handle in the rain.
Apples to oranges.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
They dont wear if you dont use them, drive 100,000 miles a year and they will not wear out because you are driving all highway.
How long do your pads last on a track day Snafu? How many track days do you get out of a single set of pads?
My work van, I replace the brake pads about every 2 months and I average 1200miles a week.
Cheap pads last about 6 weeks, expensive ones about 8, middle of the road ones about 8.
My point is, you cannot judge brake pad life by the amount of miles driven with a given set of pads, all you can say is how well you like them or not and how well you think they stop you over your old worn out brakes that you just replaced.
Kinda like saying your brand new tires handle better in the rain than your old bald tires handle in the rain.
Apples to oranges.
I can get like 3 track days out of the pads. Not too bad. Same with a set of tires. And yes, I never care or look at how many miles I get from a set on anything.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Team Owner

A friend of mine also gets about 3 track days out of tires, $1,000 a set!!!
He races vintage Alfa Romeo's and Volvo's, I have no idea what he uses for brakes though.
Hoosier tires.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Well said Spike

Nicely stated Spike.
I would consider myself a light footed non heavy braker. On my last set of factory LR pads I got about 32,000 miles. That is roughly 70% city/30% highway driving. Maybe that metric has a little more value? I think driving habits and style of driving play a big factor in brake wear. I thought I would get 2 sets of pads out of my rear rotors but no deal. They are below spec, and now on order. I'm going from DBA slotted & drilled to AllMakes 4x4. That brand seems to be very popular in Europe.

Originally Posted by Spike555
Apples to oranges.

Last edited by bosshogt; 05-22-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:30 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bosshogt
Nicely stated Spike.
I would consider myself a light footed non heavy braker. On my last set of factory LR pads I got about 32,000 miles. That is roughly 70% city/30% highway driving. Maybe that metric may has a little more value. I think driving habits and style of driving play a big factor in brake wear. I thought I would get 2 sets of pads out of my rear rotors but no deal. They are below spec, and now on order. I'm going from DBA slotted & drilled to AllMakes 4x4. That brand seems to be very popular in Europe.
With equal brake force distribution all four wheels get the same amount of brake force, so in theory all four brakes should wear out equally.
Almost all modern cars are this way, it was designed to help stop nose dive under hard braking, I do not know how it works exactly.

Driving style is the only thing that effect's brake wear, assuming all the parts are in good working order, i.e. caliper(s) not stuck.

When I drove truck brake pads would last 200,000+miles, now that I drive delivery van I eat brakes for lunch, rotors still last forever though, we run them until they either stress crack or are warped so bad the whole van shakes when stopping.
We never turn rotors either, run the brakes until they grind, "pad slap" it and go, grooves and all.
Flush brake fluid, nope.
Go to NAPA, buy pads and slap them puppies on.

Bottom line, buy whatever you want, brakes is brakes.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

My greatest deal so far was $13 shipped for a full set of Beck/Arnley premium Organic rear pads from RockAuto. There was some crazy instant rebate going on. They are nice so far, just pissed I have to swap rear rotors now.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Spike, there are hardly any cars/trucks being made that have anything close to equal brake pressure, number of caliper piston/size much less the same size rotors or pads, which is why rear brakes always last around twice as ling as the fronts.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys,

I have a 03 with stock rotors and Akebono pads. Stop is fine, but when i go off-roading they start to make noise...i know the dust, heat and traction control stabbing at my brakes (a lot less now that i have a locking CDL) doesnt help the situation but is this just something i am going to have to live with??? i ride with two other jeep guys and they are always busting my ***** about knowing when im behind them because my brakes are squeaking... i try to tell them they arent driving around a tank (with plush leather) but they dont get it...

Do you guys experience a lot of brake noise on the trail?

Old 05-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

YUP!
Not mater who's pads and rotors you use, after a long day of wheeling, hot brakes and dust, yes they will squeak. Yes the squeak is much less with the CDL activated, you are not using the traction control so much, but they still will get hot.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drowssap
Just do not use drilled and slotted rotors with regular pads, the rotors will eat up a standard pad.

What he said. i have drilled/slotted rotors on my D1 and my autozone pads dont last a year. Thankfully they got a lifetime warranty.

Quick Reply: Drilled/Slotted Rotors or regular