Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drilled or solid brake rotors? Bendix, Centric, or Powerstop Brand? Ceramic or Semi M

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 11:01 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Drilled or solid brake rotors? Bendix, Centric, or Powerstop Brand? Ceramic or Semi M

On the recommendation of another forum member, I've been looking at Rock Auto for brake rotors and brake pads, They have an ENDLESS selection,....... I'm willing to spend up to $125 for rotors and pads and there are several choices that fit that.

The have a brand of rotors and pads called Powerstop: $111 for solid (non-drilled) vented front rotors and scorched ceramic pads.

$128 for Drilled and slotted vented rotors with scorched ceramic pads.

Also have "Premium" Bendix non-drilled rotors for $35 ea and Centric "Premium" Scorched ceramic pads with shims for $18. Many more choices there , these are just the values that stood out to me.

Anyone looked at their list of rotors and pads? Any thoughts?

I need to get these ordered today, so any help is appreciated.

Brian in Austin

Old 09-19-2013, 11:05 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

go to lucky 7 get the terrafirma rotors that Jason has and get yourself a pair of akebono euro pads.
Brakes are not a place to cheap out, your traction control also used your brakes as well.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
go to lucky 7 get the terrafirma rotors that Jason has and get yourself a pair of akebono euro pads.
Brakes are not a place to cheap out, your traction control also used your brakes as well.
Tried google searching Lucky 7. Got nothing. What is it?

Old 09-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I think he meant lucky8llc.com

Old 09-19-2013, 09:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Dont go with drilled or slotted rotors, waste of money and they will eat up your brake pads quicker.

AutoZone man, life time warranty and you can have them all the same day.
Ceramic pads are a joke, they dont stop any better and they still produce brake dust.

Brakes is brakes.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drilled and slotted , are not a total waste of money, they help outgassing and keep the pads from resin glazing. They both help keep the brakes cooler, which reduces warping, keep the surface cleaner as well, and also remove the water better when wet.
The downside of drilled although they are better on the street than slotted is they will crack between the holes first. Every race car that i know of uses slotted rotors because they do pretty much the same and are less likely to crack.
More importantly is the carbon content of the rotors whether they are blanks, slotted or drilled. The higher carbon content the harder stronger the rotors. Sorry for they long write up but i do road race cars alot and know my brakes, the most important thing!

Old 09-19-2013, 09:38 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Track days and the mall days require different types of brakes.

I'm a FedEx driver, have been for many many years, I eat brakes for lunch, I've tried all the gimmicks on my vans, no difference between any of them.
They all stop the van, they all last about the same amount of time, they all produce brake dust.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:41 PM
Three Wheeling

Check these part number, they are by centric/stoptech.
Cheap Blanks 120.22005
High Carbon Blanks 125.22005
High carbon Slotted 126.22005SL
High Carbon Drilled 127.22005L
High Carbon Drilled and Slotted 127.22005L
The L at the end is obviously left side the 5 at the end denotes the front as changing it to a 4 will be the rear.

Last edited by lmcgrew79; 09-19-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Spike555
Track days and the mall days require different types of brakes.

I'm a FedEx driver, have been for many many years, I eat brakes for lunch, I've tried all the gimmicks on my vans, no difference between any of them.
They all stop the van, they all last about the same amount of time, they all produce brake dust.

You are very correct. Drilled and slotted will provide pretty much cosmetics only on the street. But with a higher carbon content they will last longer.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:50 PM
Three Wheeling

The biggest stopping force, your gonna see is in your pads. Ceramic have low dust, but i wouldnt use them on a heavy disco. Nor should you ever use them for towing. Metallic will dust more but provide much better stopping friction.

Quick Reply: Drilled or solid brake rotors? Bendix, Centric, or Powerstop Brand? Ceramic or Semi M