Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drip..drip..drip..

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question drip..drip..drip..

hey guys (and girls) I posted on this awhile back. I found a large puddle of oil on the drive one morn and had to park the D1 until now, just looked at it and put some dye in it and going to get a light tomorrow, I saw a steady drip coming from just behind the oil filter tho where there is what looks like a line or port going in.. can anybody tell me what part that could be? I'll post more when I get the uv light to it in the morn.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Front cover gasket. Those lines are your oil cooler. Spray off the part with water (no chemicals) and look again. It could be your oil pressure sending unit.... A Cheap place to start, but I would still plan on changing the front cover gasket.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sounds like front-cover/timing chain cover action.

Unbeknownst to me (until just recently), on the front of the block sits this front cover which serves as the mounting point for not only your water pump but also your oil pump and the oil filter adapter.

It's not a fun job replacing the front cover gasket, I'm about halfway through the job and hope to wrap it up tonight...I was leaking coolant from the driver's side water port.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Unstable- dont forget the lock-tite on the crank pulley bolt....

Old 06-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Three Wheeling

that sounds like about where it is. right above and back of the filter. is it a major job or and afternoon? will verify tomorrow before tearing in to it

Old 06-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As they said, and the oil switch can do this as well.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if you are contemplating doing this job yourself, I highly, highly recommend getting under the truck now and spraying down the crossmember bolts with PB Blaster or some other sort of penetrating oil. It also wouldn't hurt to saturate any bolts you see at the front cover as well as the PAS pulley bolts, crankshaft/harmonic balancer bolt etc.

I'd repeat this every day for several days until you are ready to tackle the job. Also it doesn't hurt to have a MAP torch on hand. Hammer on those 8 crossmember bolts and spray them down.

I had a helluva time getting the crossmember out, I had to grind out two bolts, I broke a bunch of them off and I'll have to worry about that later. After the crossmember is out, you're instructed to disconnect the transmission oil cooler line that interferes with the oil pan. I recommend holding off on disconnecting this otherwise you're going to be laying in a puddle of ATF while you work. Instead disconnect the 3 oil-cooler line retaining clips first.

-Drain your motor oil.
-Drain your coolant.
-Jack up the body of the truck.

Remove the bolts for the oil pan up to the point where it's ready to come out (12 bolts on bottom of pan, 3 nuts I believe at front of the pan, 2 bolts going UPWARD into recesses of pan, 4 bolts on one side of bellhousing and 2 bolts on the other side of bellhousing...THEN remove that transmission oil cooler line.

From here you have to remove the oil pickup.

Then you move to the front of the motor, take off your fan, you'll need a thin wrench, specialized tool. Take off yer serpentine belt. The manual says to take off the PAS pulley but if you decide to go that route I recommend trying to break the bolts free before you take off the belt (don't back the bolts out too far or you're going to be sorry). I took off the tensioner pulley instead to make room to get the front cover off.

On the front cover you have to unhook an oil line as well as a couple of sensors before that badboy wants to come out. 9 bolts holding it in...take your time unless you want to break the bolts off in the block...yes they will break, the hardware stinks...and rover will charge you $107 for 9 bolts (I believe they are 7-12 each + shipping).

Front cover will come off with some resistance because it's sitting on dowels.

While you've got it torn down this far, check the deflection on your timing chain and see if you want to replace it for $100 while you're at it.

Assembly is the reverse of disassembly. =)
I'm at the part now where the front cover is back on and I get to put the oil pickup and pan on next...it's going to be a blast.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Mudding

I bet its the oil sending unit.
But what someone from Dallas know? Nooo not me you!!!!
Mine was the oil sending unit its about the only thing that will drip in one spot.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Three Wheeling

anybody want to buy a disco? lol man I hope it ain't that cause if it is she's going in the garage for awhile till I can tackle that. If i could get my hands on the guy who rebuilt this thing I'd strangle him, nothing is up to par, but for a $350 disco i guess i cant complain

Old 06-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Three Wheeling

hey land sorry i didnt get back to you about coming to look at your cdl hookup, got busy at work and the rain kinda put me off working on the disco for awhile

Quick Reply: drip..drip..drip..