Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drip rail/rain gutter finisher permanent removal question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 02:04 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drip rail/rain gutter finisher permanent removal question.

First: Happy New Year to all -

Second: I am having trouble finding the answer I am looking for on dedicated LR forums so thanks for any input -

My question/issue:

With a roof rack on and off over the years the plastic trim on the rain gutters is breaking down.

I searched to no avail here and the internet and haven't seen one verification of someone removing permanently the plastic or "finisher".

Most threads address seam repair but do not address just leaving the plastic bits off...

I understand how the seam works and am willing to seal the bare rain gutter which needs to be done anyway. I have no leaks and with how damaged these plastic bits are don't see them providing much protection anyway.

Have already addressed the "water ingress to headliner tech bulletin" so am familiar with the rails - again, no leaks just the plastic looks like 'crap' and are breaking. I see they are generally NLA other than the bits I don't need...

It seems removal of all the rain gutter plastic from the back and sides would be fine what concerns me is the plastic trim above the 'A' pillar...

If you have removed the plastic from the rain gutters (drip rails) and left them off permanently please let me know...

Any input is welcome and again Happy New Year.

Thanks -
Erik

Old 01-01-2023, 02:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

there is a thread on similar topic just written maybe two months ago discussing some trim options...try search...

as far as removing the 'corner' pieces...who cares. if you don't mind the look and you are not going for a show stopper. They are just there to keep water from running down the front windshield or backside.....fixed windows are already sealed to the body... you could leave off the A pillar big trim and the corner pieces, and no more water will get into your disco than did before....

Old 01-02-2023, 10:25 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 891 Likes on 643 Posts

I don't yet need to replace the gutter trim on my truck, but why wouldn't a generic, flexible door edge guard like that linked below on Amazon work for the long, straight runs and around the rear corners on each side? I understand the need for the finishers for the front corners.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MCZ4PXS/ref=twister_B0BBM7YM2T?_encoding=UTF8&th=1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MCZ4PXS/ref=twister_B0BBM7YM2T?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Old 01-02-2023, 01:41 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys -

I am probably going to remove the rear portion and the sides permanently - - and if I see them for sale and in good condition buy and keep in storage. The front corner pieces, over the A pillar, seem necessary and I found some used ones for sale and between mine and the used ones feel like I can work with them. I will reseal the rain gutters (back to front) and then probably paint (again back to front) and file the two front corner pieces so water can run out better. I still feel the front corner pieces help preventing water leaks/drainage but could be wrong. Maybe just sealing good and removing them can work.......

Again, I have zero leaks anywhere I just know these plastic bits don't have much time left before the disintegrate. Maybe creating a new lip (aluminum, etc) on the front corners is something to think about...

I appreciate the inputs - and thank you for the ideas!

Erik