Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive Shafts

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Drive Shafts

no, the double cardon and the roto flex are not the same. the roto flex is on d1's and it is where the rear driveshaft connects to the rear diff. they used that instead of a u-joint.
it is rubber desighned to flex when it rotates (roto flex), the rubber gets old and brittle and needs to be replaced, best bet is to replace with a u-joint. i believe that you have to replace the driveshaft to put in the u-joint.
the double cardon is on the from driveshaft of a d2 where it connects to the transfer case. when the double cardon fails it explodes and rips a hole in the transmission thus ruining the transmission.
here are some pics of a failed double cardon.
http://picasaweb.google.com/jdesmond...72036521691954

Old 03-20-2017, 12:30 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it is time again to fix something on the disco. I have had the front drive shafts done about a year ago. My wife was saying that there was a vibration while drive now and I did notice it. Now I here a big "Thunk" when putting it in to drive or reverse. Took it down that road and something broke. I got under and looks like the U-joint broke. Adding a pick. Question can I just replace that or do I have to replace the whole drive shaft? roverparts.com is out and looks like $800 for mine. D2-04, 173000 miles add a pic.

As always Thanks in advance

Old 03-20-2017, 02:44 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

First, consider yourself very LUCKY as in go buy a Lottery Ticket Lucky. A broken front driveshaft could have caused a TON of damage!

Just replace the part. This is the driveshaft you want to get (fully greasable )> https://www.lucky8llc.com/collection...t-driveshaft-6 If you do a SEARCH you will find many have used this driveshaft with excellent results.

JUST REMEMBER TO GREASE THE DAMN THING!!!!!

Last edited by OverRover; 03-20-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:35 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW - I installed a new greasable front driveshaft 10k miles ago, and recently took it off to install it on a 'new' disco and that thing was THIRSTY for grease. Good advice OverRover - don't forget to grease that thing! Every oil change, grease it up.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:45 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK so put it up on the jacks and it is my front drive shaft not the back.... I am new to doing this myself and have a great neighbor that is a retired mechanic. He has worked on just about everything in the last 45 pulse years. I didn't think of the front drive shaft as the mechanic I have been taking it to replaced it about a year ago, did not do a good jog obviously and now I see damage to transmission pan and it is leaking. GRR this is why I am doing stuff myself. My OLD mechanic did not put the grease valve on the drive shaft so no place to grease it but I can fix that by adding it to the shaft as the hole is there with a little screw.

Can I just get this part in the pic without getting the whole drive shaft? I am not sure what to call it "Cuplink"? I have to now get new Trans pan and the service kit as well so trying to save money. The rest of the front drive shaft is in good condition.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:19 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

I don't think I've seen that yoke sold separately, you might have to try to find a used one.

I get it money is tight.....BUT don't waste your time/money ( as in my last post ) just get > https://www.lucky8llc.com/collection...t-driveshaft-6 and for only $208.00 you start fresh! I say " only " because the time, $, and headache that will solve is so well worth it.

If it makes you feel better (it would for me), remove the old drive shaft and beat your OLD MECHANIC in the head with it! Good Luck!!

The following users liked this post:
Problem at the disco (08-09-2018)
Old 03-22-2017, 09:29 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

[QUOTE=Problem at the disco;600569]OK so put it up on the jacks and it is my front drive shaft not the back.... I am new to doing this myself and have a great neighbor that is a retired mechanic. He has worked on just about everything in the last 45 pulse years. I didn't think of the front drive shaft as the mechanic I have been taking it to replaced it about a year ago, did not do a good jog obviously and now I see damage to transmission pan and it is leaking. GRR this is why I am doing stuff myself. My OLD mechanic did not put the grease valve on the drive shaft so no place to grease it but I can fix that by adding it to the shaft as the hole is there with a little screw.

Can I just get this part in the pic without getting the whole drive shaft? I am not sure what to call it "Cuplink"? I have to now get new Trans pan and the service kit as well so trying to save money. The rest of the front drive shaft is in good condition.

Try to source a used pan, and a new front shaft- would also recommend L8 house brand shaft.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:42 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by jamestfl

Try to source a used pan, and a new front shaft- would also recommend L8 house brand shaft.
That is the Double Cardan Joint and I think its part of the entire assembly. You could just purchase the greasable joint inside it and replace. The problem, if the mounting face is damaged due to the broken bearing, then it wont last too since it wont sit properly tight inside.
Gerry

Old 03-22-2017, 04:01 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

The 'driveshaft' in the UK is referred to as the 'propeller' shaft, hence the reference in RAVE.

The Cardan is on the front shaft only with two UJ's and a centering ball and at the other end of the shaft is a single UJ.

The rear shaft has a Rotoflex attached to the differential end with one UJ at the trasfer box end.

To rebuild the Cardan you probably will need some special tools but unless you have done the rebuild before it's a real PITA.

The rear shaft with the Rotoflex and single UJ is easy to rebuild.

If the front shaft goes bang it'll cost you a new autobox in many cases, probably worth more than the truck. It's far cheaper to replace the front shaft at say Lucky8 than a new autobox.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 03-22-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:29 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

When replacing new bolts and nylock nuts for the driveshaft, should it be a good idea to add washers also? Washers are not shown in the RAVE manual for the driveshaft maintenance even though it's a common practice of mine.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Drive Shafts