Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive train / Transmission question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 09:47 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive train / Transmission question.

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a '98 Disco with ~80k miles. Something I noticed yesterday that I had not before is occurring and I was curios if anyone might have any ideas on it.

When I accelerate from a dead stop at a steady, even pace and before the transmission shifts out of first gear, there are three, distinct "pauses" and what feel like "mini shifts" or "slips" in the drive train/transmission.

There are no associated noises or any feeling of any grinding transmitted through the floor or pedals. Just those three shifting or slipping instances.

Anyone have any thoughts on what it may be?

Thank you,

Roger

Old 06-16-2005, 02:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Drive train / Transmission question.

try putting the trans in 1st gear, drive like you do when you get this prob, at about 3-3.5K shift up to 2nd, then again to 3rd, see if it still happens. let me know if it does or not.

Old 06-16-2005, 03:23 PM
7th Gear

When the vehicle is in:

(1) it does not pause
(2) it pauses once
(3) it pauses twice
(D) it pauses three times.

I drove it several times in each of the gears to verify that is indeed what it is doing.

Any help, as always, is very appreciated.

Roger

Old 06-16-2005, 03:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: hubris

When the vehicle is in:

(1) it does not pause
(2) it pauses once
(3) it pauses twice
(D) it pauses three times.

I drove it several times in each of the gears to verify that is indeed what it is doing.

Any help, as always, is very appreciated.

Roger
it sounds like it is just shifting gears. unless you are "on it" pretty hard, the disco will shift pretty early so to speak.

Old 06-16-2005, 03:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

get out on the hwy, put it in 1st gear take off, at 3.5K rpm, shift up to 2nd, then at 3.5K rpm shift up to 3rd, continue till you reach drive, I bet there will be no pause except when you shift.

Old 06-16-2005, 05:50 PM
7th Gear

Thats kind of whats odd. It performed exactly as you said except When I start out in (D)rive or any other gear except (1) these shift/slips occur before the Disco actually does shift....very odd. I will try it once again though and see if I can get some egg on face...egg washes off much easier than paying for a transmission service!!

Thank you!

Old 06-16-2005, 06:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thats kind of whats odd. It performed exactly as you said except When I start out in (D)rive or any other gear except (1) these shift/slips occur before the Disco actually does shift....very odd. I will try it once again though and see if I can get some egg on face...egg washes off much easier than paying for a transmission service!!

Thank you!
from what it sounds like is that it is just shifting, have a mechanic ride with you.

Old 06-16-2005, 06:29 PM
7th Gear

Okay, it is shifting...it shifts into the two lowest, (1-3) gears by 15mi/hour and just at 2k/rpm. It slips into the top gear at 20mi/hr.

However, there is enough of a pause between shifts that I actually slide a bit in my seat before the next gear kicks in. The pause's are there whether I am accelerate slowly or heavily, though when I am on it a bit heavier, they are shorter pauses. Still, they are long enough that I do slide in the seat and the front end dips slightly until the next gear engages.

Old 06-16-2005, 06:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Okay, it is shifting...it shifts into the two lowest, (1-3) gears by 15mi/hour and just at 2k/rpm. It slips into the top gear at 20mi/hr.

However, there is enough of a pause between shifts that I actually slide a bit in my seat before the next gear kicks in. The pause's are there whether I am accelerate slowly or heavily, though when I am on it a bit heavier, they are shorter pauses. Still, they are long enough that I do slide in the seat and the front end dips slightly until the next gear engages.

yea now i would just have to be there to figure it out, your e-brake is not on is it? (sorry but it is a possibilty) In drive does it slow down more than it should when you let off gas?

Old 06-16-2005, 06:50 PM
7th Gear

No, I actually looked for that first thing when I noticed it. I had a manual transmission vehicle for years and I know to look for the e-brake when a car starts doing odd things like I have described. I have accidently left it engaged on a few occassions.

The Disco performs exactly as it should when slowing and stopping, except when it shifts into (1). At that gear it acts like it is shifting a bit to early and has slightly dipped the front end a couple of times and also slid me a hair in the seat.

Quick Reply: Drive train / Transmission question.