Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver' floor dampness

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver' floor dampness

Been monitoring some dampness on my new to me 04 Disco. Seems to only gather (and I use that term lightly) on the driver's side near the sill (see attached pic). If I drag and blot a white paper towel I can get some evidence of seeming slick slightly pinkish (very slight) fluid. Looked around and been watching fluid levels. I suspect coolant, but don't see how it could possibly gather at this location. Thoughts?
Cheers, Lawndart

Old 04-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Winching

Question: What color coolant are you using? Check your drain tubes, because if its anything like the DI it has 2 drain tubes, one on the right, one on left of center they are for A/C and Heater!

Old 04-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Check the passenger side as well. More than likely, heater core.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks guys.
The coolant is pinkish. No noted change in level.
I checked the drains from underneath - all seemed fine
Passenger side is dry

History -
I purchased this D2 from a Land Rover dealer. 1 owner, less than 40k miles, Texas vehicle. This think looks virtually new (inside, outside under hood and underneath). Think the core could be leaking? How would the fluid migrate to the driver's side only?

Old 04-03-2012, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Flush and change coolant to get rid of pink (dexcool or similar) and go to the green color coolant. Do not mix coolant colors, do not believe in 100,000 mile coolants. Will save the rest of the engine and cooling system. Drains below should be dripping AC condensate if running while parked with AC on. Here's map of cooling system. PITA to do heater core, dash is built around it. Can be bypassed with a loop of hose for testing. Coolant flows thru the heater core whenever truck is running, not just when heat is on.

Also look around the throttle body heater plate, not sure how coolant could leak there and migrate along a hose or cable, but it is on the driver's side of the truck. Can also be bypassed in warm weather for testing, it prevents ice up of throttle under 36F.

Do not try radiator stopz leakz. It can clog rest of cooling system and you will overheat and need new radiator, perhaps damage engine. Pix of radiator with dexcool "sludge" that collects in the bottom rows, reducing cooling ability. Add stop leak and it becomes "concrete".

Attached Thumbnails Driver' floor dampness-dex-cool-2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 coolant flow.pdf (724.2 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 04-03-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:16 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

heater core, condensate drain, sunroof drain hose or windshield leak are about your only causes.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Three Wheeling

I did check the condensation drains and fairly certain I noted two small spots on the ground from these drains; been nice weather lately and I am not a hug fan of AC until it is really hot.
I do have plans to rid the system of Dexcool this spring.
I guess the search continues. A bad heater core at less than 40k kinda blows my mind; fingers crossed.
Seems to me the location of the dampness is a low point.
I see no easy way of lifting the carpet on the driver's side - suggestions?

Old 04-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

It is the corrosive nature of the coolant when it is combined with other coolant. Bubba at the quick oil change place thought he was helping by topping off the fluids, etc. Chemical reactions are faster with heat, but continue with the truck parked and in storage. So it is years, not miles. But coolant lines to core are on other side, it may not be the O-rings, may just be a bad core. The RAVE manual has pages about removing interior trim, etc.