Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRIVER SIDE MIRROR REPLACEMENT-03

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRIVER SIDE MIRROR REPLACEMENT-03

Last month I drove thru a blizzard going over Mt. Hood pass in Oregon. Everyone was pulled off in the chain-up area and I kept on going. Some vehicles were slipping and sliding around but I made it over with no problems.

One thing did happen though. When I turned on the defroster my driver side mirror started to crack from the bottom all the way to the top. See picture.

I have a few options and I was thinking of getting a used replacement from good old Ebay. Now I see from Rover Connection they have a replacement glass.

Has anyone replaced just the glass on these side mirrors? Any special tools? How easy is it to replace?

Thanks for your help.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2480/9DE1B2C908AD416B849B17C304146F59.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-27-2008, 03:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: DRIVER SIDE MIRROR REPLACEMENT-03

First call your insurance company and see if they will cover it. Mine did.
We were at the mall and when we came back to the parking ramp the drivers side mirror had a crack in it. Call my agent and it was fixed free of charge. But then I do have glass coverage.
But the local windshield shop replaced it in about 10 min while I waited, it was $35 with tax.
So getting it from e-bay you need to figure the cost of shipping and handling in the overall price. A $25 dollar mirror with $10 shipping and then YOU do the work...well you are not saving anything.

But to answer your other question, you just pry the glass out, unplug the heater and remove it from its holder, then with the adheasive that you have to buy (add that to doing it yourself) you just reverse removal. Once it is put back together you cannot move it for one hour while the glue dry's. Maybe longer if it is cold out.
Good luck.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Rock Crawling

No need for any glue on a DII. The old glass pops out and the new in. Quick and easy. I'd think messing with Ins and such would be more pain than it's worth on that one. A convex replacement is also avail (LR Genuine). The new mirror is already mounted on the plastic baking. Takes three minutes to do.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Overlanding

I think I will buy a convex replacementand do it myself.

Thanks for the help.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Overlanding

If anyone needs to replace your side mirrors, here's something that may help. I found this at expeditionexchange.com.
Increase your view of the road and vehicles around your Disco1 or Disco2 with the Convex Left-Hand Mirror. This mirror is standard fitment to right-hand drive Discoveries and has a convex shape to give a wide-angle view of the sides and road behind your vehicle. The Convex Left-Hand Mirror is similar in concept to the Expeditionware Convex Mirror for the Defender, but is a Land Rover Genuine Part for right-hand drive Disco1's and Disco2's (both vehicles use the identical mirror).
The Convex Mirror gets its name from its convex shape. The reflector bulges outward and gives a wider reflection than a flat-planed mirror would. The advantage of the convex shape is that the driver obtains a wider view of the road to the side of him and behind him. On the left is a standard NAS mirror and on the right is the Convex Mirror.
The Convex Mirror is a simple, drop-in replacement for the factory mirror fitted by Land Rover.
Installation is very simple and no vehicle butchery is required to install the mirror. The Convex Mirror is held to the mirror body in exactly the same fashion as the NAS mirror.
All heating functions remain active.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Rock Crawling

03LRSE7,
Just a tip, when removing pull from the side furthest from the car to pop it out. to put it back in catch it first on the side nearest the car then pop the far side in place. It'll take more pressure than you would think so don't be afraid if it doesn't pop in easily.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Overlanding

Thanks, I should get the new Convex Mirror in a week or two.