Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's or Passenger's side coil springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Driver's or Passenger's side coil springs

Soooo.... I've heard people talk about replacing coil springs and questions always come up about which side the replacement OME or TF springs go on, because they are different for driver and passenger side. I've probably even given some advice... and I was probably wrong.

In the past I've said that you should put the drivers side on the drivers side etc.

It turns out LHD Discovery 2 DON'T HAVE SIDED springs.

I just got a set of used rear springs so that I can remove my lift to sell it to fund my 90. Both springs had the same color codes. So I opened the handy-dandy RAVE to see if this was correct, of if I got two of the same side springs. And I found this:

So then I went to look at the front springs that I had removed from the car when I installed the lift. I KNOW they are correct, and I even labelled them DS and PS when I took them off. They also have the same codes.

So it looks like the correct answer should be to use BOTH the same springs when doing a lift. I even recall one site (expedition exchange maybe???) that would sell the springs this way.

Attached Thumbnails Driver's or Passenger's side  coil springs-spring-color-codes.jpg  
Old 06-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

so I have new set of OME for my Disco one spring is approx. 2 inches longer than the other, are you say the longer one does not go on the drivers side?

Old 06-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by drowssap
so I have new set of OME for my Disco one spring is approx. 2 inches longer than the other, are you say the longer one does not go on the drivers side?
I'd probably still use the driver spring on the drivers side. I think the best solution would be two drivers spring or two passengers springs on each axle.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Terrafirma nicely labels DS and PS on each spring, not so true on their older ones though.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Terrafirma nicely labels DS and PS on each spring, not so true on their older ones though.
Yeah, that is nice that they label them.

The point I was trying to make is that those might not be best for LHD disco 2, because the stock springs are the same side to side. The ome are designed in Australia, and I assume the TF are designed in UK, both RHD places.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
Soooo.... I've heard people talk about replacing coil springs and questions always come up about which side the replacement OME or TF springs go on, because they are different for driver and passenger side. I've probably even given some advice... and I was probably wrong.

In the past I've said that you should put the drivers side on the drivers side etc.

It turns out LHD Discovery 2 DON'T HAVE SIDED springs.

I just got a set of used rear springs so that I can remove my lift to sell it to fund my 90. Both springs had the same color codes. So I opened the handy-dandy RAVE to see if this was correct, of if I got two of the same side springs. And I found this:

So then I went to look at the front springs that I had removed from the car when I installed the lift. I KNOW they are correct, and I even labelled them DS and PS when I took them off. They also have the same codes.

So it looks like the correct answer should be to use BOTH the same springs when doing a lift. I even recall one site (expedition exchange maybe???) that would sell the springs this way.
You do not need to worry about what the factory installed in your truck. You need to order one of a couple different lifts, be it light duty, medium duty or H.H. depending on your needs and driving habits.
Do you have SLS for rear coils?

Old 06-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by drowssap
You do not have a matched set of springs. Nearly all the spring manufactures make a drivers side as well as a passengers side, neither or more then a 1/4" difference in height.
If they are in the box, what is the part number and are they tagged pass. and drivers side?

Old 06-18-2013, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
You do not need to worry about what the factory installed in your truck. You need to order one of a couple different lifts, be it light duty, medium duty or H.H. depending on your needs and driving habits.
Do you have SLS for rear coils?
So you don't think it matters that Land Rover put identical springs side to side? I think they probably had a good reason for it.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
So you don't think it matters that Land Rover put identical springs side to side? I think they probably had a good reason for it.
They put a crossmember that does nothing under the chassis, who knows what they're capable of!

Old 06-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Administrator

There isn't a spring manufacture on the market that has ever built springs to factory specs, if they did, they would all fail as the factory coils do. There are only 2 options for you, takes a lift kit and put the spring marketed drivers side, on the drivers side of as already mentioned order 2 passenger or drivers coils but with some manufactures, you won't always get a level vehicle.
Trust me, there are 1000's of people who have installed lifts and none of them had any negative issues.

Quick Reply: Driver's or Passenger's side coil springs