Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The driver's side horn has stopped working. Is this common; is there a fix?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 04:43 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default The driver's side horn has stopped working. Is this common; is there a fix?

My driver's side horn has stopped working. It quit, then worked again a time or two, then quit again,....

I pulled the connector off and pressed it back on several times just incase it was a loose or corroded connection,.....still inoperative.

Any suggestions?

Anyone happen to know if the driver's side horn is the high or low tone?

Brian in Austin

Old 01-06-2014, 07:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They are known to fail - driver side button seems more common as it probably gets more use. I replaced my horn button assembly with a set off a donor Disco for $40.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:09 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by T.J.
They are known to fail - driver side button seems more common as it probably gets more use. I replaced my horn button assembly with a set off a donor Disco for $40.
TJ,....re-read my post. My HORN not the horn button is inop.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:22 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My mistake-
Check fuse - If good apply 12V DC directly to horn contacts. No sound = bad horn.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

On my old Mustang Horns, I was able to adjust the screw in and out to get the horn working again (can also adjust tone). It had just gotten stuck. Not sure if we have adjustment screws on these or not.

I suggest you put a volt meter on the wire leading to the horn and ground to verify if power is actually getting there.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:57 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by SuperSport
On my old Mustang Horns, I was able to adjust the screw in and out to get the horn working again (can also adjust tone). It had just gotten stuck. Not sure if we have adjustment screws on these or not.

I suggest you put a volt meter on the wire leading to the horn and ground to verify if power is actually getting there.
Thanks super sport! Used a 1x2 bit of lumber propped against the seat back and touching a horn button,....then use the seat adjuster switches to put pressure on the horn button,...checked the horn power lead for power,.....had it. re-connected the lead to the horn,...smacked the horn with a small hammer,...horn beeped for a few seconds then quit. Removed the horn and sprayed WD40 into it,...then rotated the horn to help the WD work its way down the horn spiral into the center. Still nothing. Found an adjusting screw under a black rubber cover, had to remove the white screw immobilizing goo on the screw, was then able to grab the screw with vice grip pliers and gently began turning it back and forth......it was reluctant to turn. After a few turns back and forth,...the screw moved a bit. I tapped it with a hammer again, short beep, turned the screw a bit and tapped again,....longer beep,....continued this for a few minutes, lots of hammer tapping and moving the screw back and forth,...eventually got it to a point where the horn would beep and not stop beeping. put it back in the truck,...and still working fine so far.

BTW, I muffled the sound of the horn beeping while I was doing this by just covering the mouth of the horn with my hand. if I do this again, I'll try stuffing the opening of the horn with cloth or paper,...and tape over the horn opening.

Brian

Old 02-09-2014, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

cool.
I had trouble with my horns too. I should have tried some of that. I opted to install an aftermarket set up..(no it is not the dixie version)

Old 02-09-2014, 12:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bcolins
Used a 1x2 bit of lumber propped against the seat back and touching a horn button,....then use the seat adjuster switches to put pressure on the horn button,...checked the horn power lead for power,.....had it.
Super Cool! Great Idea! Would love to have seen this.