Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's side rear door seal leaks and useless at hwy speeds. Door hinge problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 09:29 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Driver's side rear door seal leaks and useless at hwy speeds. Door hinge problem?

I noticed when I purchased my d2 that the drivers side of the car at highway speeds felt like there was a window open at all times. Windy and loud.

From the looks of it the seal looks perfectly fine but I noticed recently that the alignment of the drivers side rear door looks off. I can also tell that that door is the only one that is a little tough to open. Not terrible but the hinges "grind" to some degree it's definitely not smooth and easy.

Here are a couple pictures attempting to show the differences in the doors on both sides. The drivers side rear door is sitting slightly lower than the drivers door, the opposite of the passengers side

Name:  kdOMnQW.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  112.3 KB
Name:  AsARcIU.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  100.8 KB

Can the hinge be repaired? It doesn't look like there's any bushing that could be replaced..

Now that I think about it the rear door acts the same way. Has anyone solved these problems before?

Last edited by meat; 12-06-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:17 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Meat
Not sure from you pictues what is out of whack but it looks like the window frame has shiftet?
Had a similat wind noise on my 2002 turned out to be a loose window frame on the passenger front door, I would imagine the same could occur on any door.
There are large torx head bolts at the top an bottom of the door to hold the window frame into the door. Came loos on mine, tightened and adjuste and all is good now

Old 12-07-2015, 09:41 AM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I am going to guess you just need to slightly bend the top of the window frame so there is more pressure on the seal when the door is closed.
They bend pretty easy.
Roll the window down, hold the top of the door below the area of frame you need to bend, grab the top of the frame and just pull it and close the door to check.
I've done this before on my drivers door a few years ago when it was leaking air on the highway.
Been fine ever since.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I had excessive wind noise and wind blowing into the cabin from my passenger rear door, and it was the felt window channel that had slid out of position. Fairly well documented problem if you search, fix is as easy as sliding the felt channel back into place.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:09 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BackInA88
I am going to guess you just need to slightly bend the top of the window frame so there is more pressure on the seal when the door is closed.
They bend pretty easy.
Roll the window down, hold the top of the door below the area of frame you need to bend, grab the top of the frame and just pull it and close the door to check.
e.
Well that's one was but probably not the BEST way. Likely best to adjust it properly as opposed to bending it using brut force

Old 12-08-2015, 05:39 AM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Adjust first, bend only if absolutely necessary. I have regrets.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:40 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
Adjust first, bend only if absolutely necessary. I have regrets.
Sounds like a man who broke a window....

Old 12-08-2015, 08:32 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I recall when I bought my Disco new that the salesman told me our window frames are actually part of the rollover and roof integrity protection. I wouldn't bend it. It would be hard to bend anyway. You can make your door shut better and more tightly by adjusting the star bolts on the front and back of the door. Use a sharpie on the edges of the bolts, loosen them, shift the frame inwards a little, then tighten them. When you get it right, put some red loctite on them and tighten the heck out of them.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:41 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Sounds like a man who broke a window....
No, just made it not as nice as it once was.
Did learn one trick: I've put strips of that grey closed cell backer foam rod in behind some of my less robust seals. It hides well and and improves the seal for super cheap. And no one has even noticed it so far.