Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveshaft Dropped

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 01:07 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft Dropped

Well, last weekend I was on my way home one night and could feel some vibration and some noise. I was only a couple miles from the house so I figured I'd try to make it home and take a look. Well as I was pulling through the gate of the subdivision, I heard it drop and coasted off the road to the side. The sound was absolutely awful getting it off the road, but there was no flulid anywhere so I believe the transmission is good. Thank god I was only going about 10mph since I had just pulled through the gate or the transmission would probably be toast. For some reason I didn't think to take pictures of it or y'all could have a look at it, and it's at a local shop now. (I'm a little north of Houston.) The guys haven't gotten to look at it yet, but I was thinking about trying to get a driveshaft from lr2001silver and sending it to them. Any suggestions?

Last edited by PigSooieRover870; 06-28-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Typo's.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Good luck finding that guy. By the way, he was re-selling a driveshaft that is available from Proshaft llc. You can find them on ebay. This topic has also been covered in depth on pretty much a bi-monthly basis so you can find plenty of options with a quick search.

Glad to hear you didn't take out the tranny. Hopefully others will see this and get theirs fixed before they end up in the same position (or worse).

Old 06-28-2013, 01:33 PM
4wd Low

Oh ok, I'll check them out on ebay then. Thanks for the help. And yeah I know, I have just been putting it off like most people do. But hey, it happens and coulda been worse. I'm just glad I wasn't going 80mph on the beltway when it went out. And I only just rolled over 79K miles so get it changed asap!!

Old 06-28-2013, 01:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Yikes, close call. The front shaft on my truck failed and was replaced before I bought it. I know this because a) it has an aftermarket shaft b) it tore a hole in the floor when it came apart.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

PM me if you want the contact for the shaft LR2001(Andrew) was selling. Andrew wasn't reselling Proshaft's, he was helping out another guy. Andrew was an awesome guy and very helpful, a lot of people forget that because of the issues around conflict of interest.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:39 AM
Overlanding

I am posting my experience on several threads. I bought a Proshaft front prop for $300 for my Disco 2 in January 2013 and installed it. Over the last two months I have developed a squeeking and grinding that I thought was my pinion bearing. It sure couldn't be the BRAND NEW Proshaft prop. I took it to the shop last week. I just got it back out of the shop today. The mechanic found that the cardon joint had absolutely no grease. The needle bearings were destroyed. The shaft was delivered in January with grease in every other joint so I assumed the cardon joint did too. It takes a needle on the grease gun to lube that point. Brand new and it took seven months to fail. Overlooking grease is unacceptable for a company whose sole product is driveshafts. Not including the rental car, I am into this repair for $800. I am not happy.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No matter what your quality control measures are, mistakes will happen...it's the cost of doing business. I would expect a good company to make it right (provide a new shaft at a min). Have you contact them? Their response would be something prospective buyers here would be interested in.

I perrsonally have the same shaft (6 months) and have had no issues.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:15 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Consider a replacement drive shaft from Great Basins Rover in Salt lake city or from British Parts of Utah, both made in Utah with American made parts.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you can also find Dynamic Driveline ARK. on Ebay I bought one of theirs a couple of years ago have not had any problems. it is not a big HD shaft like you need with a lift but good for everyday use and did not cost as much

Old 07-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2rovers
I am posting my experience on several threads. I bought a Proshaft front prop for $300 for my Disco 2 in January 2013 and installed it. Over the last two months I have developed a squeeking and grinding that I thought was my pinion bearing. It sure couldn't be the BRAND NEW Proshaft prop. I took it to the shop last week. I just got it back out of the shop today. The mechanic found that the cardon joint had absolutely no grease. The needle bearings were destroyed. The shaft was delivered in January with grease in every other joint so I assumed the cardon joint did too. It takes a needle on the grease gun to lube that point. Brand new and it took seven months to fail. Overlooking grease is unacceptable for a company whose sole product is driveshafts. Not including the rental car, I am into this repair for $800. I am not happy.
I was told that I must drop the front shaft and lube that needle connection every 3000-5000 miles or oil change, just as you lube the zirk fittings. Are you saying you never lubed that and it failed? And you're pissed about it? Or did you do less than 3000 miles and you suspect it was never lubed to begin with?

Quick Reply: Driveshaft Dropped