Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveshaft rebuild done!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 12:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Done. Thx!

Old 05-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Rock Crawling

Final update:

Today, I mounted the rebuilt driveshaft (after having to go back to the hardware store to pick up some new Nylock nuts - 3 of them were too big/mixed from a different nut drawer).

Since, I was already under the truck, I gave her an oil/filter change and greased the rear driveshaft's u-joint and slip joint (and replaced the air filter.)

Marking the front driveshaft before dropping it apparently worked because I drove at up to 75MPH today during a 45 mile roundtrip and had absolutely no vibration whatsoever.

Movin' on down the list. Happy weekending.

-Anthony

Last edited by Antmen; 05-01-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats what I didnt do, I marked the DS, but i didn't mark the diff or the other side... dumb little mistake, but oh well, it works now and it didn't break the bank either! Good job on the write up man, awesome pics too.

Regards,

Old 05-02-2010, 06:06 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Ant did you get the 8mm magnecores from Apexperformance.net ? they have the best pricing. that seems to be the next PITA project you have.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Shane83
Thats what I didnt do, I marked the DS, but i didn't mark the diff or the other side...
I almost did the same thing, but remembered to mark one hole on the diff and one bolt on the transfer case and their corresponding holes on the shaft's flanges/yokes using garbage ties. I was surprised they stayed on the car during those two days of use.

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
Ant did you get the 8mm magnecores from Apexperformance.net ? they have the best pricing. that seems to be the next PITA project you have.
Going online today to order them - thanks for the URL reminder! However, compared to *this* job, man, the wire job - despite its own challenges - will probably seem like cake and much easier on the back muscles.

Going to pick up those +4 plugs and a crankshaft sensor while I'm at it.

-Anthony

Old 05-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How did you get all those pics to post on the thread, did you use the manage attachments? Every time I post pics that way, they come out real little. Yours are much bigger.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Rock Crawling

I simply uploaded 640x480 pics to my Amazon S3 account (or any other file/image sharing site). You then click on the "insert image" button and paste the public URL of the image.

-A

Old 05-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

This is a sticky now... Thanks!

Old 05-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the u-joints on my '01 Disco is trashed. Had the usual signs that started with the squeak, then followed by the vibration and clunking. I didn't know about the clunking until I was informed by the missus (she drives it a lot more than I do, toting the kids around.) I drove it for a day (and when I say "drove" I should say "babied") with the clunking, and then parked it in the garage. This is what I found:

Needless to say, this has to be fixed immediately. I figure I'll do all of the u-joints while I have the front shaft off. What parts am I going to need here? I'm assuming three of the 1-0005 u-joints, and one of the 7-0081NG centering ball kits, but what's up with the busted piece you see in the picture? Is that something that's replaced with these parts, or is that a physical part of the driveline steel parts that can't be replaced this way? Am I looking at new u-joints, an entirely new driveline, or something in-between?

Attached Thumbnails Driveshaft rebuild done!-05042010338.jpg   Driveshaft rebuild done!-05042010342.jpg  
Old 05-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that I look at it, I see the write-up also says to use new nuts for the mounting bolts. I also see that Antmen noted he used "Grade 5" buts. The pdf write-up says to ensure that the bolts aren't a lower grade than the nuts. Are we sure the bolts are greater than Grade 5? Will using brand new Grade 5 nuts on old, busted-*** bolts do anything terrible? Is there any harm in just sticking with the nuts that are on there?

Quick Reply: Driveshaft rebuild done!