Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveshafts, U Joints Oh My!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 06:59 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshafts, U Joints Oh My!

Hello,

Just reading through some posts here and wondering why I need to have my driveshafts rebuilt asap? Also, do I need to replace my UJoints with the greasable ones if I don't have an issue with them? So far so ggod on the truck Ijust turned over 67K miles on my '99 Disco II, I am in for trouble here or what? As I stated on another post, I am terrified of tranny, driveshaft issues with this thing. Big Money!!

Thanks for the advice!

Old 05-07-2008, 07:19 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Driveshafts, U Joints Oh My!

Transmissions are very good on Disco's its the front driveshaft that can come apart with out much warning.
I have read your other post, have the Frt driveline U-joints done and pull your trailer.

With the type of four wheel drive that LR's have they pull well just not fast.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As it was explained to me, the front driveshaft is right in between the exhaust system and it cooks the grease on the inside of the joints. Normally this wouldn't be an issue but for some bizarre reason (probably to save 10 cents on each Disco produced) they didn't put in u-joints with greaseable fittings.

So the general belief is that the u-joints should be replaced quickly with greaseable fittings as to prevent the driveshaft from binding up and essentially toasting everything in the chain.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I think they went non greasable to reduce maintance costs, it is a selling point to consumers.
The driveshafts spin at a high rate of speed and when the double cardon fails the spinning shaft slaps against the side of the transmission and because the trans housing is cast aluminium, just like your engine block, it pokes a big hole in the side and the only fix is a new transmission.
Is it a bad design? Yes. But it is what it is, if you are pro-active it is a cheap fix.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a "common" topic I read on here, and for peace of mind I will be doing mine as greasable is always better than none greasable......How ever this issue of ones that fall apart seem to be very much linked to U.S side rather than here in the UK, (Well I have not heard or read of many anyway)...Im wondering if its something to do with the fact you guys get the 4.6 litre lump with more power,where as over here (uk)its only 4.0

Old 05-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have responded to every post on this issue and I'll do so again. Mine broke. Transmission was trashed. No rebuild. No fix. Just junk.

Rebuilding the front driveshaft should be next on the list after stopping at the gas station when anyone buysa DII (mine is 1999). Ok...I'll give you that I may be being dramatic a bit...I just don't want anyone to hear the slow grind that turns into a funky thump that then sounds like you just took an anti-tank round (and it all happens in the time it takes you to let of the accellerator and think to yourself "what in the world is...").

Old 05-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Urban Panzer
The 4.6 has nothing to do with it, it's the lack of grease fittings. The DII's with the 4.0 here in the US do the same thing when the joint fails.
The 4.6 didnt come in the Disco until '03.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't imagine what it sounds like. I wonder what happened to that guy who epoxied his transmission back together? I think that was onthis board.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here he is.
https://landroverforums.com/m_44587/..._/tm.htm#44648
I wonder if that was the one he's selling now? Tranny problems maybe??
https://landroverforums.com/m_64191/..._/tm.htm#64191

Old 05-08-2008, 06:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spike555

Urban Panzer
The 4.6 has nothing to do with it, it's the lack of grease fittings. The DII's with the 4.0 here in the US do the same thing when the joint fails.
The 4.6 didnt come in the Disco until '03.
Fairenough, Was just "trying" to get some additional explanation for it. As I said it seems to be far more common in the US for some reason. Its just mad why Land Rover did it that way in the first place, but there again nothing surprises me with Land Rover lol. Have not read or heard of a single failiure over here....V8 or TD5, obviously have heard of wear in them and thats down to lack of grease as we know, maybe they are just picked up before the actual drive shaft lets go, who knows......

Quick Reply: Driveshafts, U Joints Oh My!