Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving cross country in a new to me truck, will I be doomed

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 06:49 PM
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driving cross country in a new to me truck, will I be doomed

Hey all,

Total newbie to the forums, I’ve been lurking for ages and the info here has been amazing so I guess I should introduce myself

Through various life choices I now have a 04 DII SE7 which has led a super good life so far. It was owned by the owner of a really good shop and he really took care of this thing.

It’s got about 200k kms on it, but 6k kms ago it had a full engine/tranny out service, he redid a ton of the electrics and abs, put on the ome lift kit and turner rebuild kit. I’ve had it for 2 months and it’s been more reliable than my 13 RRS, which says a lot

So I’m moving cross country now from Alberta to Ontario and I need to drive this thing there because that’s the only way. I’ve read all the previous threads regarding this and it’s in the shop today getting new fluids all around, rear disks + pads (they were at 25%, fronts are at 90%), the battery was testing at about a third of its original capacity so I’m getting that changed as well even though it’s been solid so far in -30c weather. It’s going to be cold the entire way and this thing warms up perfectly and stays warm so I’m confident about that. I’m just wondering if there’s anything I’m missing or should look at while it’s still in the shop. The tires are virtually brand new too. I’ve done minor trips like 3-5 hours and it’s been solid every time. But this time I’m driving cross country. I’ll be stopping every night so it’s about 14 - 16 hours of driving over 3 days.

Below is what she looks like, and honestly growing up these were a distant dream of mine.. I have newer vehicles but the discovery has a soul to it, it’s a great vehicle and I love it

The following users liked this post:
greisinb (12-17-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 02:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts

Go for it. With a history like that you can't really ask for more. I drove mine as a mostly mystery truck 850 miles from Wyoming to Kansas City and still drive it every day today. Maintained they are not that bad imo.

The following 3 users liked this post by dswilly:
greisinb (12-17-2021), InOverMyHead (12-17-2021), Richard Gallant (12-17-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 02:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 468 Likes on 279 Posts

If it's well maintained, why not. I went on four road trips with family of 5 and wilderness camping gear each lasting between 2000-4000 miles over last couple of years.

The following 2 users liked this post by Discorama:
cvhyatt (12-19-2021), InOverMyHead (12-17-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 02:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

Go for it, with a history like you have described there's nothing really concerning. If maintained these are very reliable vehicles. Do you know when/if the crankshaft position sensor was replaced with the engine service? If it stops working there is no warning or "back up strategy" to keep the engine running. It's a $50 part and it might be nice to have a replacement in the glovebox in case it's ever needed.

The following 3 users liked this post by greisinb:
cvhyatt (12-19-2021), InOverMyHead (12-17-2021), Richard Gallant (12-17-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 04:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Great looking truck. I would do the PCV mod and inline thermostat mod now rather than later given the trip ahead of you. Get an ultragauge for the trip, put some coolant in the bins along with a spare CPS, spare coil. Not sure of the hose age, but you can get a hose repair kit and put it in the spares kit. Unless you know the window regulators have been lubricated I would be cautious rolling windows down (fast food drivethrough), they are known to break in cold weather and refuse to go up. Same with sunroofs.

The following 3 users liked this post by Extinct:
InOverMyHead (12-17-2021), SundayFunday (12-21-2021), whowa004 (12-18-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 06:09 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for all the suggestions,

So I got it out of the shop today. We found that the shuttle valve was throwing a fault when I was picking it up, so I had the whole part replaced with a fresh one. The crankshaft sensor was replaced when the engine was rebuilt, but I’ll grab an extra one and keep it in the glove box

On another note I’ve been trying to get an ultra gauge in Calgary for a while but shipping times are a little long. I can get a scan gauge locally, I think I’m going to grab one and put it on just to be able to keep a better eye on everything

Ive done a lot of trips but it’s been a while since I’ve been this excited for one, it’s going to be me + my dog so I’m set for company for the way 😂

Old 12-17-2021, 06:12 PM
4th Gear

Oh I forgot to add, we found the passenger seat belt tensioner wasn’t functioning to spec, so had the passenger and drivers replaced just to get it out of the way

Mechanically I think the truck is as solid as can be, and after having it gone over by my usual shop + an independent who both said I should be good, I’m a lot more confident now

Ive seen older threads going back years about the scan gauge. But is anyone running it in 2021, and are there any alternates I should be looking at?

Old 12-17-2021, 06:18 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Extinct
Great looking truck. I would do the PCV mod and inline thermostat mod now rather than later given the trip ahead of you. Get an ultragauge for the trip, put some coolant in the bins along with a spare CPS, spare coil. Not sure of the hose age, but you can get a hose repair kit and put it in the spares kit. Unless you know the window regulators have been lubricated I would be cautious rolling windows down (fast food drivethrough), they are known to break in cold weather and refuse to go up. Same with sunroofs.
Thank you! So it’s got pcv + the low temp (180 I believe) thermostat when it was rebuilt. Plus new plugs, wires, stainless brake lines and all the rubber in the engine (and body seals) was changed. The windows have been perfect so far and same with the sunroof while my rear sunroof is disabled due to the roof rack. But thank you for letting me know, it’s something I’ll keep an eye on now.

Old 12-18-2021, 04:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,276 Likes on 897 Posts

Sounds like the vehicle is more than ready for the ride.

Old 12-18-2021, 05:00 PM
Winching
Received 129 Likes on 113 Posts

well if owned by a good mechanic can't imagine the hoses belts fluids electronics drivetrain was neglected - of course things can happen - sudden failure is most likely electronics - CPS is suspect (you have spare that is good) alternator doesn't always give a sign before failure - battery at this time of year if more than 2 years old - have a good spare jack and lug wrench and/or Auto club membership

best of luck with trip - let us know how it goes