Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropping out of 4 High/ CDF Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 01:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Dropping out of 4 High/ CDF Conversion

Hi all. Purchased a CDL Diff Lock Kit from Ashcroft for my 03 Disco II, had a mechanic install it since I was limited on time. Now when driving it will drop out of 4Hi When letting off the throttle, this does not happen when in 4 Low. Tried adjusting the Cable but doesn't seem to help. Ive been test driving with the center console out and have the linkage disconnected from the shifter. it will not pull out of 4high when driving, but will when letting off accelerator pedal... There where no issues with this before the conversion was put in!
any help would be appreciated!!!!

Old 07-31-2021, 07:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

The first thing that comes to mind here is you could have a bad or disconnected transfer case or transmission or engine mountains every time you let off the gas it rocks that assembly enough to disengage it.

I’ve seen this happen on an old Jeep.

the diff lock etc is all mechanical with no computer control so the solution should be mechanical too

Old 07-31-2021, 11:18 AM
Three Wheeling

Good idea hadn't thought of that. Ill have to look at that later today,

Old 07-31-2021, 11:38 AM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

Since you have an '03, whoever did the work probably had to install a lockable transfer case (or at least the front output section) as well as the Ashcroft lever. Maybe something is amiss with that installation. That said, hi/low range don't really have anything to do with the transfer case lock.
Since you have the console out, can you try disconnecting the lever mechanisms entirely to see if it still happens? If you reinstall only the lock part, does it still drop out of high range? Go through it methodically to identify the problem specifically.

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (08-02-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 12:12 PM
Three Wheeling

it was the nose cone and cable from Ashcroft. I think your right... I will prob disconnect all cabling and start from there... it does grind a bit when trying to shift into hight... never did that before either

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_3439.MOV (7.41 MB, 8 views)
Old 07-31-2021, 04:32 PM
Three Wheeling

Checked all mounts and everything looks solid. So I disconnected cables for locker and high low selector and no change it will just pop out of high at random, now even with constant acceleration. Could something be off in the nose cone when he installed it I wonder? Transfer Cases and Transmissions are NOT my specialty. When it pops out it defiantly grinds when trying to put back in even when in neutral.

The following users liked this post:
The_OGCJR (08-01-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 05:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rynoman1
Checked all mounts, and everything looks solid. So I disconnected cables for locker and high low selector, and no change; it will just pop out of high at random, now even with constant acceleration. Could something be off in the nose cone when he installed it, I wonder? Transfer Cases and Transmissions are NOT my specialty. When it pops out it defiantly grinds when trying to put back in even when in neutral.
I'm in the middle of a CDL transfer case swap. I chose to swap over the entire case vs just the nose cone. Some people have had good luck with just a nosecone swap as it is far easier than pulling the entire transfer case. I chose to do the entire unit because if the nosecone is not aligned correctly, it can cause issues. I'd wager your nosecone is out of alignment and not allowing you to fully lock into 4-high. Search Jeff Blake he wrote up a very detailed thread on how to rebuild a transfer case and how to align the nosecone properly.

Old 08-01-2021, 06:29 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by rynoman1
Checked all mounts and everything looks solid. So I disconnected cables for locker and high low selector and no change it will just pop out of high at random, now even with constant acceleration. Could something be off in the nose cone when he installed it I wonder? Transfer Cases and Transmissions are NOT my specialty. When it pops out it defiantly grinds when trying to put back in even when in neutral.
Can't you go back to the mechanic who installed the parts? If it was a relatively short time ago, the work should be warrantied.

Old 08-01-2021, 09:31 AM
Three Wheeling

He was a highly recommended mechanic, but he now he says he's to busy and will refund the labor. So now im stuck figuring it out by my self. At this point I feel it has to be something wrong with nose cone install...

Old 08-01-2021, 09:43 AM
TReK

Did you disconnect the range cable at the transfer case end, or at the lever end?

Quick Reply: Dropping out of 4 High/ CDF Conversion