Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropping and Reinstalling Transfer Case

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014 | 09:06 AM
|
Camel Trophy
Default Dropping and Reinstalling Transfer Case

Ok, so I've got an '03 Discovery without CDL. I also have an '04 with a blown engine that has been largely parted out that does have CDL. I have been trying to research and find out how to swap the transfer case but seem to be having little luck finding write ups. I remember reading something some time ago about needing a transmission jack, which I don't have. Is there a way around that or will I need to make a run to Harbor Freight? I'd rather not if there's a way around it. Does anyone know of any good write ups, hopefully with pictures, that I could use? Are there any quirks that I should know about before I get started?

Atleast half this job (dropping the t-case out of the '04) will be done in the cold outside in my yard. I don't have a lift and I won't have cement or asphalt to work on for that part. Just dirt. Any tips?

Thanks everyone!

Edit: Oh, and is there anything else I should replace while I'm in there? Is there a full list of everything I need for the swap somewhere? Gaskets, seals, nyloc nuts, etc?

Last edited by Alex_M; 11-02-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-02-2014 | 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

In the past people have built cradles from 2x4's to attach to their standard floor jack that seems to work.

I've just balanced it before on the floor jack or borrowed a trans jack from my dad he has the 450lb low lift jack from harbor freight and it works pretty well.

The following users liked this post:
Alex_M (11-02-2014)
Old 11-02-2014 | 10:35 AM
Three Wheeling

I'd recommend using a lift, but if you don't want to get one you and a friend should be able to drop it by yourselves. Just remember to drain it of all fluids and remove as much stuff from it as possible eg: the transbrake. And as far as I know there aren't any good write ups about removing the t case from a disco but the rave is pretty helpful.

Here are some links that may help

http://discoii.files.wordpress.com/2...ansfer-box.pdf

http://www.landroverweb.com/Pdf-file...aul_Manual.pdf

Alex_M (11-02-2014)
Old 11-02-2014 | 10:45 AM
Mudding

I had to drop the trans and transfer case together on my '03. Transfer case hit the floor pan of the truck before it came off far enough to clear the transmission output shaft. Apparently there is some difference in regards to this on 03-04's vs the earlier models. Found an old LR service bulletin about it on alldata.

Alex_M (11-02-2014)
Old 11-02-2014 | 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Floor jack and 2x are easy enough to use for removal. The tweeking , twerking, lining up, for install make that set up less than desirable, but doable

Alex_M (11-02-2014)
Old 11-02-2014 | 02:24 PM
|
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
In the past people have built cradles from 2x4's to attach to their standard floor jack that seems to work.

I've just balanced it before on the floor jack or borrowed a trans jack from my dad he has the 450lb low lift jack from harbor freight and it works pretty well.
Awesome, I'll look into that. I never even thought of something like that. Thanks!

Old 11-02-2014 | 02:30 PM
|
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Disco deuce
I'd recommend using a lift, but if you don't want to get one you and a friend should be able to drop it by yourselves. Just remember to drain it of all fluids and remove as much stuff from it as possible eg: the transbrake. And as far as I know there aren't any good write ups about removing the t case from a disco but the rave is pretty helpful.

Here are some links that may help

http://discoii.files.wordpress.com/2...ansfer-box.pdf

http://www.landroverweb.com/Pdf-file...aul_Manual.pdf
Awesome, thanks for all that! Very helpful!

Old 11-02-2014 | 02:42 PM
|
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Kenso
I had to drop the trans and transfer case together on my '03. Transfer case hit the floor pan of the truck before it came off far enough to clear the transmission output shaft. Apparently there is some difference in regards to this on 03-04's vs the earlier models. Found an old LR service bulletin about it on alldata.
Hmm, well that sucks. I'll have to look into that. Thanks

Old 11-02-2014 | 02:49 PM
|
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by dusty1
Floor jack and 2x are easy enough to use for removal. The tweeking , twerking, lining up, for install make that set up less than desirable, but doable
I may have to look into having someone with an actual shop and more tools help me with the reinstall. Thanks Dusty

Old 11-02-2014 | 03:08 PM

I bought one of these Wide Deck Motorcycle Scissor Lift , Bikes ATVs 1100 LB | eBay and made a jig to match the LR jig. It bolts to the inspection sump plate fixings. All very cheap and saves scuffed knuckles and struggling with 55kgs of gearbox.

When doing the refurb theres 2x output shaft seals, 1x input shaft seal and a gasket set and RTV required. Might as well put a new output shaft seal in the autobox whilst they are both split apart.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 11-02-2014 at 03:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Dropping and Reinstalling Transfer Case