Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropping and Reinstalling Transfer Case

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014 | 06:50 PM
Mudding

I made this stand that bolts under the tranfer cse, and fits over a motorcycle jack my nephew bought at Canadian Tire. In my opinion it's very important to have a similar tool, so you don't damage the seal on the input shaft while reinstalling the TC under the truck.
While you are there, replace the output seal on the tranny.

The following users liked this post:
Alex_M (11-03-2014)
Old 11-03-2014 | 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lowest Bidder
I made this stand that bolts under the tranfer cse, and fits over a motorcycle jack my nephew bought at Canadian Tire. In my opinion it's very important to have a similar tool, so you don't damage the seal on the input shaft while reinstalling the TC under the truck.

X1

Excellent work and jig. Totally agree if working alone on the transfer box.

I used one of these Résultats Google Recherche d'images correspondant à http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m_EECe_hoM2zEW1t5Ml80vg.jpg and cut it at 32'30"
and welded the jig plate to it then bolted it to the motorcycle scissor lift. Ideal for working on the bench afterwards also. Good for realigning to the auto output shaft and not damaging the output shaft seal. Well worth the time, effort and cost making the jig and buying the scissor lift. You can fix either small trolley wheels to the underside of the scissor lift but I used thin 1/8" PTFE sheet glued under it to make it slide easily on the floor.

Alex_M (11-03-2014)
Old 11-03-2014 | 09:51 AM
|
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
I bought one of these Wide Deck Motorcycle Scissor Lift , Bikes ATVs 1100 LB | eBay and made a jig to match the LR jig. It bolts to the inspection sump plate fixings. All very cheap and saves scuffed knuckles and struggling with 55kgs of gearbox.

When doing the refurb theres 2x output shaft seals, 1x input shaft seal and a gasket set and RTV required. Might as well put a new output shaft seal in the autobox whilst they are both split apart.
Ho-le-****, 350 shipping. I might be able to borrow my neighbors motorcycle jack. Thanks for the idea!

Old 11-03-2014 | 09:52 AM
|
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Lowest Bidder

A picture, thanks! That's extremely helpful!

Old 11-03-2014 | 09:54 AM
|
Camel Trophy

X1

Excellent work and jig. Totally agree if working alone on the transfer box.

I used one of these Résultats Google Recherche d'images correspondant à http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m_EECe_hoM2zEW1t5Ml80vg.jpg and cut it at 32'30"
and welded the jig plate to it then bolted it to the motorcycle scissor lift. Ideal for working on the bench afterwards also. Good for realigning to the auto output shaft and not damaging the output shaft seal. Well worth the time, effort and cost making the jig and buying the scissor lift. You can fix either small trolley wheels to the underside of the scissor lift but I used thin 1/8" PTFE sheet glued under it to make it slide easily on the floor.
These are all great ideas guys, thanks a million! Looks like I need a motorcycle jack for sure.

Old 11-04-2014 | 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Ho-le-****, 350 shipping. I might be able to borrow my neighbors motorcycle jack. Thanks for the idea!
That's a US product so would be cheap shipping within the US I assume. I bought mine on Ebay UK which was very similar which cost a tad more but shipping included within the UK plus freight forwarding to France. about $10.

Alex_M (11-04-2014)
Old 11-04-2014 | 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Alex_M
These are all great ideas guys, thanks a million! Looks like I need a motorcycle jack for sure.
Tip: when you remove the transfer box make sure you can get the darned thing out from underneath if using axle stands or transfer it onto a trolley board similar to this. Résultats Google Recherche d'images correspondant à http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v1/244227876/4_wheel_MDF_board_Home_trolley.jpg

Also measure the exact height of the scissor platform from the floor and ensure you achieve the same height when reinstalling onto the autobox which will avoid any possibility of damaging the output seal. I used a straight edge across the scissor platform and measured both side and centre to ensure an accurate measurement. Problem is if you don't measure the exact height you cannot see the autobox output shaft or seal when reinstalling so you are guessing blind. Good luck have fun ............. but use grippy safety gloves .............. just ask Dusty1 what can happen

Alex_M (11-04-2014)
Old 11-04-2014 | 01:20 PM
|
Camel Trophy

Tip: when you remove the transfer box make sure you can get the darned thing out from underneath if using axle stands or transfer it onto a trolley board similar to this. Résultats Google Recherche d'images correspondant à http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v1/244227876/4_wheel_MDF_board_Home_trolley.jpg

Also measure the exact height of the scissor platform from the floor and ensure you achieve the same height when reinstalling onto the autobox which will avoid any possibility of damaging the output seal. I used a straight edge across the scissor platform and measured both side and centre to ensure an accurate measurement. Problem is if you don't measure the exact height you cannot see the autobox output shaft or seal when reinstalling so you are guessing blind. Good luck have fun ............. but use grippy safety gloves .............. just ask Dusty1 what can happen
That's something I didn't even think about. I'll definitely sit the jack on rollers and be sure to measure the height. Thanks!

Old 11-04-2014 | 10:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Dude, do it the easy way and just swap out the front output housing. Way easier than dropping the entire transfer case, and you can do the seals while you're there.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/220371738/...ite-Up-5-17-10

Alex_M (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014 | 06:23 AM
|
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by DustyLBottoms
Dude, do it the easy way and just swap out the front output housing. Way easier than dropping the entire transfer case, and you can do the seals while you're there.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/220371738/...ite-Up-5-17-10
I didn't even think about that. You might be on to something.

Quick Reply: Dropping and Reinstalling Transfer Case