Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove great never had issues until today. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 12:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Drove great never had issues until today. Please help!

My 03 discovery hse7 was running great. 51miles ago I changed the drive shaft with one from lucky 8. Drove today with the wife to the bank and when I was done when to start up and it would crank but not turn over. I have a full tank of gas and filled 93from the same gas station as always. No blown fuse. When I got it started the m and s lights continue to blink. I freaked out turned car off. Refuse to start for another 10 min. Started and drove great for 3-4miles I was driving to check battery and alternator. Died on exit ramp. Had battery tested no issues. Had alternator tested no issues no corrosion on battery leads. It is killing me that it will start right up after 20min rest of not trying to start it. I have tried to look at other posts but I may be overlooking a thread like this. The m and s are no longer blinking and while you are cranking the battery and oil light come on until you atop cranking. I checked oil levels good. Could it really be something with the drive shaft? Also I have been leaking power steering fluid at 300ml every 2 weeks nothing crazy. Is there a sensor maybe covered in oil or something you can suggest. No mechanic in Cincinnati is trustworthy or knowledgeable and if they do know something they definitely take advantage of you money wise. I would much rather give money to a member who knows what they are doing to come assist if close by. I love this truck can't let it die like this. BTW it has 119k and we'll maintained

Old 10-31-2015, 12:30 PM
Three Wheeling

BTW did not and hasn't ever overheated to my knowledge. I was thinking while sitting at the side of the road. That it was acting like it was overheating turn off after running a few miles and didn't run on until cooled down for a while.. Just a thought but I know it has coolant no leaks and no trace in the engine oil

Old 10-31-2015, 12:34 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Sounds like the CPS failed.

Use the search function, lots of info and a cheap fix.

Could it be possibly someone bumped it while doing the propshaft work? Take a look to see if it is seated correctly and the contacts are clean.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

+1 for crank position sensor

Old 10-31-2015, 12:42 PM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

I just replied to another thread where you asked the same question. I agree with what others have said crank sensor is dead. I gave more information over on your other post.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

I'm with them and by the way there is no way the driveshaft is causing the issue. Unless you used it as a club on the crank sensor lol

Old 10-31-2015, 01:09 PM
Three Wheeling

You gentleman are scholars and I appreciate this info. I am freaking discombobulated over the car just quitting on me. Went to a low place depressed. How often do these cps need to be replaced

Old 10-31-2015, 01:11 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
I'm with them and by the way there is no way the driveshaft is causing the issue. Unless you used it as a club on the crank sensor lol
LMAO you guys know my dumb a$$ as well as my wife!

Old 10-31-2015, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

They are a common failure on most any car as they get on in years, just not frequent.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

I see the problem, clear as day.

You'd just been to the bank. Discos have a keen $ sensor. It realised you have about $60 to much in your account.

For safety in future, always park about 150ft from any financial institution that holds your funds.

I've never done mine. If you do it yourself, be sure to post details, photos of how it went. Skinned knuckles etc.

The following users liked this post:
Andy2Rover (11-01-2015)

Quick Reply: Drove great never had issues until today. Please help!