Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DTC Code - False Send?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool DTC Code - False Send?

Threw P0172 - O2 too rich bank 1, new sensors all around less than 500 miles ago; could this be small false send? Any clue? What else could throw this?

Old 06-03-2013, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

X2 on above.

It is part of the fuel system monitoring, which covers adaptve values, etc. That code and some others pop up when your truck fuel air mix has gone more than 22.7% off from what the computer "thinks" you should be. It adapts to minor wear in the system, but there are limits. It is also a condition that must be detected on two successive drive cycles to turn on the engine light. So if you do something, like replace air filter, or tighten a hose; just because it clears today does not mean it won't pop up in two days of driving.

The technical condition is "fra value outside limit" which is the multiplicative correction factor. See attached for more detail. You might consider cleaning the MAF sensor when cold with made for MAF spray, replacing a grimed up air filter, etc. Air flow is part of the equation used to monitor the system.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 P0172.pdf (709.1 KB, 94 views)
Old 06-03-2013, 09:28 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Buzz is correct but, I would suggest you stay away from our overly sensitive MAF cause if it were bad you would have rich reading from both banks. Might want to start with vacuum or exhaust leaks.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Drifting

MAF replaced with O2's. Hard to detect vac leak and exhaust seems fine. Could this in any way be related to the Ultra Gauge? I had posted in another spot the UG causing my factory fuel gauge to malfunction. Did a reset and it seems to be working (fuel gauge) now, but just a thought...

Old 06-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony C
MAF replaced with O2's. Hard to detect vac leak and exhaust seems fine. Could this in any way be related to the Ultra Gauge? I had posted in another spot the UG causing my factory fuel gauge to malfunction. Did a reset and it seems to be working (fuel gauge) now, but just a thought...
Hi Tony, I'll post on the other thread too, just for those who don't read both.

I don't know about the Disco, but on my Jaguar Forum, I had read that the UltraGauge did cause some issues with the stock gauges when installed. Not everyone had isses, but it appears some did. They stopped recommending the UG for Jaguars on the other site. Personally, I'd still try using it till I found the issue myself, but I don't have the Jag anymore.

I have not read that it caused any issues with Codes being thrown, but I guess anything is possible. Especially since it's "Potentially" been proven to affect gauges/sensors in some way.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Drifting

Thanks SuperSport, I am beginning to wonder about this UG myself! I was all set to instal the traditional gauge cluster somewhere on the dash like I did in my Jeep, but when I saw the discussions on the UG, I'm thinking - this is a much more elegant Idea! All that info in a small, discrete package! I have got the factory fuel gauge back to working accurately, so I'll stick with it until something happens to convince me otherwise.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Go have you codes read with a good scanner to find out exactly what is going on.
Have you read the operation of the 02's with a scanner using freeze frame or real time scanning, need to do it.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony C
Thanks SuperSport, I am beginning to wonder about this UG myself!
I would not worry too much about the UltraGauge. I believe it's a solid piece of hardware. I had just read where some people on Jag Forums were having issues and they felt it might be the gauge. I'd have to see the issues myself to have a solid opinion either way.

My guess is there's a connection issue that's causing things to go kittywhompus. I know the Jaguar has issues with it's OBDII connection not working perfectly after a time, and I would guess that is what is actually causing the issue. Having the gauge plugged in all the time would cause those issues to come forward.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Administrator

And go use another scanner to rule out any issues.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Drifting

Well, I did put my other scanner on it. Strangely enough it showed a pending code 0734 (?) for tranny issue. I cleared all, have driven a couple of hundred miles in the two days since it first showed up, and so far nothing has come back! Drives just fine (actually, as it's been cooler here in the North East, the UG coolant temp is showing between 188 and 210 on the highway - Sunday was hot & humid; coolant showing 221! At least I know the thermostat and radiator are OK!), no repeat of those nasty codes! Going to flush out the old nasty orange coolant, put in the 180 t-stat and replace the a/c compressor & belt. We'll see what happens when it is hotter and the a/c is working. BTW - Blue Devil makes a coolant flush too! $10 is cheaper and easier than replacing the radiator!

Quick Reply: DTC Code - False Send?