Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Battery and aux relay/switch box install.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024 | 02:14 PM
Rock Crawling

If your looking for lights, I recommend Harbor Freights new round lights (https://www.harborfreight.com/6-led-...mbo-59237.html). I attached some photos below of them on the truck. Keep in mind off-road lights in some states have to be covered while on road.

Front view

Side view

HF lights + low beams + KC fog lights

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (06-04-2024)
Old 05-25-2024 | 02:25 PM
Rock Crawling

If you plan on camping or wrench outside at light (or tired of flashlights) I highly recommend putting rock lights in the engine bay, on the third brake light, and under the rear frame! You can mount 2 rock lights facing the engine bay on the inside of the hood with some sheet metal screws. This is perfect if you have to wrench at camp or wherever you get stuck, or want extra lights while working. For camping you can glue a rock light to the underside of the third brake light. Making finding your gear or cooking off the door a whole lot easier. You can also mount 2 on the rear frame section to shine on the ground. This lights up underneath the truck and allows kids to walk around the car without flashlights or headlamps, and find any dropped items. If you have access to a CAD software and a 3D printer, you can add a switch plate in-place of a vent. In high school my friend made me one!

The following 2 users liked this post by rikkd:
The Deputy (06-04-2024), whowa004 (05-25-2024)
Old 05-25-2024 | 07:16 PM
|
Overlanding

Great idea with the rock lights in the engine bay, the wires are short, have to figure out how im going to get them all routed.. was on the fence about them, but, the engine compartment idea makes it worth figuring out, thanks!

Old 05-25-2024 | 07:25 PM
Rock Crawling

You can use high gauge wire, they pull under 5 watts I think? I used cheapo amazon ones and have been working great. Too bright to look directly at but provide great flood lighting. I just screwed them into the hood. Make sure there's room to close the hood. Mine are off to the side so they fit in that cavity above the headlights. Wish I had a photo of them in the dark.

Old 05-27-2024 | 02:40 PM
|
Overlanding

Setting up the switches

Old 06-01-2024 | 07:47 PM
|
Overlanding

Ok, some things have gotten done. Work lights out back are finished, still waiting on a connector from the UK to finish the ditch lights switch, but got the rock lights installed (with two under the hood, thanks again for that, works great at night!). Got some time to get the winch wiring sorted out, 5 pin on/off to 7 pin momentary for in/out for the cab. Dash is almost complete, not totally sold on those 3d printed switch sockets... Looking at other solutions, but going to start putting the headliner back in soon, as soon I finish the dvd replacement thing, so.. meh.

Also added a dual cig + usb socket in the back on the same side as the relay box, has a voltage display which is nice. Decided to just run a wire up to the 12v-5v step down, so thats working. Ill put some more pictures up soon.

Wish i knew what was up with R9 relay missing.. a lot of td5 stuff related to it, but, everything seems to be working, so.. who knows, ill leave it for now.

Old 06-02-2024 | 01:19 PM
|
Overlanding

Heres some pics of the changes:

dual 12v cig + usb ports

installed switches (and android head unit)

thermostat and overflow tank upgrade

rock lights under hood

amazon rock light controller

top of storage bin with relay box hidden inside

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (06-04-2024)
Old 06-03-2024 | 02:56 AM
Mudding

Regarding the rocklights in the enginebay, have some kc hilites in both my D2s

Switch is next to the expansiontank/fusebox and the wires are between the hood and the umm.. umm.. "carpet" and wires routed via the windscreen heater wires conduit to the bay.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dervish:
The Deputy (06-04-2024), whowa004 (06-04-2024)
Old 06-03-2024 | 04:43 PM
|
Overlanding

Dang, thats bright! Cool idea putting the switch in the engine bay. I assume this just those two lights on that circuit?

Old 06-03-2024 | 10:04 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by obsessed
Dang, thats bright! Cool idea putting the switch in the engine bay. I assume this just those two lights on that circuit?
Yeah, just those two lights.

Too bad I didn't hog all those hilites kits when they were on clearance sale for ~25eur per set.

Quick Reply: Dual Battery and aux relay/switch box install.