Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dual steering dampers

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts
Default dual steering dampers

anyone running them? I was thinking I would stick an opposing bracket in there and give it a go. or would it be better/same to dual them on the same side? or is there a muy bueno damper that is 2x better than my bilstein?

Old 03-14-2014, 01:37 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

What steering shocker do you think is the best?

I think I've got the LR original or a later replacement. Hit a pothole yesterday and a slight wobble on the steering, nothing too severe just a slight tremor. Maybe need to check out the steering joints etc.

I'm in the process of changing the shockers all round (probably Terrafirma if they ever answer my question about the overall length vs the original LR shockers), the rear air springs and will include the front road springs as these are original and 11 years + 121K miles on them.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:40 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I changed the OEM for the Terrafirma last week, the latter was 2-3 times stiffer than the OEM (with 74K miles on it). I wonder how the Terrafirma compares to the Bilstien? Usually Bilstein shocks are as stiff as hell.

Edit : I'm talking about the steering damper, not main shocks.

Last edited by MarkSF; 03-14-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:43 PM
Mudding

Also have you tried replacing the panhard rod bushes? It seems to me that these are what locate the axle side to side, so are doing a very tough job - and if you are feeling some shudder this might be the culprit.

The panhard bush at the axle end is the only bush in my front suspension that feels a little suspect to me. I was thinking of changing it, but I'm not sure about OEM vs. poly.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Why do you want 2 dusty?

Old 03-14-2014, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

I just recently changed nearly every single squishy on my truck (bushings/ball joints/panhard/track&drag/mounts/etc)

i just want more dampening. figure dual is easy way of doing it." rut yank "is a little harsh. trying to lessen it. plus since my tt was put in the front, I feel like acceleration is trying harder to straighten out my turns.....but I doubt damper will make a difference with that.

Last edited by dusty1; 03-14-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:41 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkSF
Also have you tried replacing the panhard rod bushes? It seems to me that these are what locate the axle side to side, so are doing a very tough job - and if you are feeling some shudder this might be the culprit.

The panhard bush at the axle end is the only bush in my front suspension that feels a little suspect to me. I was thinking of changing it, but I'm not sure about OEM vs. poly.
Thanks Mark, you are probably right as it is all original equipment and never been changed yet. I'll take a closer look at the Panhard bushes and change them if they are looking squidgy.

You say the Terrafirma steering shocker is 2-3 times stiffer than the OEM. Does that help or just put more strain on the steering gear linkages and PAS pump?

It seems I'm gonna be busy soon with all the upgrading of the front and rear suspension, steering equipment, engine and autobox mountings etc. In fact I may well replace all of these bushes front and rear: Land Rover Parts - FRONT PANHARD ROD - DISCOVERY 2 ............... I suppose it's the price for running the old truck for so long without doing all of these before. Done the brake pads and rotors a few times though.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:08 PM
Mudding

I changed the steering damper because I was trying to fix a problem where the steering wheel would shudder when going over large bumps at highway speeds. It really did the trick, I am very happy with the steering now. Seemed like a well made product too, and not super-expensive at $55.

I think panhard bushes are next. Has anyone any input on OEM vs. poly, and then on the different grades of poly?

Old 03-15-2014, 01:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you do it ill be interested in the turn out. You have DUBs on there now, so it'll probably help exponentially with all that extra rim weight.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

True dat

Quick Reply: dual steering dampers