Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Sunroof = Dual Headaches.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Dual Sunroof = Dual Headaches.....

Well I recently purchased a '96 DI SE7 5spd w/ 102K on the clock.

Its got a few problems that I'm systematically approaching based on urgency of the problem.

I purchased the truck when it wasn't raining out and now that it has for the past two days, I'm fairly certain thats why the headliner area right in front of the rear sunroof is hanging down a bit.

I got into the truck this morning to find the headliner from side to side sopping wet and water all over the rear seat.

The rear sunroof works, opens and closes correctly with minimal noise, although I'm sure it does need to have the tracks greased. My question is, can I simply replace the seals without replacing the entire unit?

Also my front sunroof isn't opening, fairly certain its off the track as well because I can hear the motor trying to work. Does the entire assembly need to be replaced?

I appreciate all of the help guys!

-Adam

Old 11-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BajaXJ92
Well I recently purchased a '96 DI SE7 5spd w/ 102K on the clock.

Its got a few problems that I'm systematically approaching based on urgency of the problem.

I purchased the truck when it wasn't raining out and now that it has for the past two days, I'm fairly certain thats why the headliner area right in front of the rear sunroof is hanging down a bit.

I got into the truck this morning to find the headliner from side to side sopping wet and water all over the rear seat.

The rear sunroof works, opens and closes correctly with minimal noise, although I'm sure it does need to have the tracks greased. My question is, can I simply replace the seals without replacing the entire unit?

Also my front sunroof isn't opening, fairly certain its off the track as well because I can hear the motor trying to work. Does the entire assembly need to be replaced?

I appreciate all of the help guys!

-Adam
it is most likely the drains that are leaking. and since you need to redo the headliner you can take the headliner out and properly work on the drain tubes for both sunroofs. that will also give you proper access to the motors and rest of the seals. here is the link to my removal of the headliner. https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ight=headliner

Old 11-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I agree, you have either a plugged drain tube or one that has popped loose.
As for the front, leave it closed for the winter and come the warmer season, shout and I'll walk you thru a few things to try.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Mudding

Thanks for the help fellas!

Old 11-11-2009, 07:06 PM
1st Gear

i had the same issue with my Disco II for about 6 months until I had to change my front lights and looked under the hood thoroughly. In the corner by the bottom of the window under the I saw a small acorn lodged in the drain tube. Once I removed it I didnt have any problems.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:00 PM
Mudding

Well I found the problem and everything seems to be sealed up!

I don't believe the drain tubes were the main problem, I actually think the bolt for the roof rack was the main culprit. I blew compressed air through both tubes as well as the area where the tube connects to the tray and all seemed clear. After another full 2 days of rain, nothing seems to be leaking.

Mike, I'm going to hit you back channel about that front sunroof. Thanks again guys!

-Adam