Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-Brake question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 09:31 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default E-Brake question

Afew weeks ago I had to really smal on the e-brake to prevent an accident going down a steep hill, vehicle shook quite a bit and I heard a jerking noise, then the brake light came on...
Now looking at all my new rotors I notice that both rear calipers are NOT touching the rotors. The rotors came out of the box with a crossed crossed finish (hard to describe) and its still on the back rotors as if they have never been used, and they are always cold even after a drive, meanwhile the front calipers show normal sighs of contact with calipers and are warm to the touch after a drive.

Does this mean my rear calipers are now shot? Or is the e-brake forcing the rear calipers to remain stuck somehow? I'm feeling that this issues is a result of the e-brake....

Old 01-05-2013, 09:35 PM
TReK

Sorry about all the many questions lately, between losing my job recently and these mechanical issues all occurring at once - Im broke and desperate to get everything resolved. Once I get past this major hurtle Im sure ill be better off with my Disco and a clean bill of health. So bare with me all

Old 01-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I thought the ebrake was on the drive shaft. Well, it is on my D1. If you can put a thin card or piece of paper between the disc and the pads, and press on the brqakes, and pull out the paper ---- then there be a problem. At least now you have time to look at it. But do fix it, a wreck is not what you need now.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:54 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
I thought the ebrake was on the drive shaft. Well, it is on my D1. If you can put a thin card or piece of paper between the disc and the pads, and press on the brqakes, and pull out the paper ---- then there be a problem. At least now you have time to look at it. But do fix it, a wreck is not what you need now.
Not sure. I know that some Defender models have a brake drum somewhere near the transfer case specifically for the e-brake. But in the case of my Disco, my rear calipers where working fine before the e-brake incident and now they are not touching the rotors.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The emergency brake and wheel brakes are completely unrelated.
The front brakes will get loaded quicker than the rear, so it may be normal wear.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:03 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by antichrist
The emergency brake and wheel brakes are completely unrelated.
The front brakes will get loaded quicker than the rear, so it may be normal wear.
Perhaps but considering my new rotors have been installed for 3 weeks now or so, there should be some marking on the rear rotors from contact with the calipers. The crisscrossed factory mold patten is still clear as day on the rear rotors.

Is there any way to TEST the rear calipers while they are installed, without taking everything apart again?

Old 01-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

See page 878 in the RAVE shop manual for the hand brake, still on the transfer case like D1. A drum, not much of an emergency brake.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jack the rear tires off the ground, turn one wheel by hand, have someone press on the brakes. you should also listen for dragging. not likely since the rotors still look new. if they don't stop, they aren't working. you may have a collapsed line, you may need to bleed more. have you bled the rear brakes? did a lot of fluid come when you push, or just a dribble?

Old 01-05-2013, 11:19 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by nahtanoj
jack the rear tires off the ground, turn one wheel by hand, have someone press on the brakes. you should also listen for dragging. not likely since the rotors still look new. if they don't stop, they aren't working. you may have a collapsed line, you may need to bleed more. have you bled the rear brakes? did a lot of fluid come when you push, or just a dribble?
We did a quick bleed of the whole system. Steady fluid came out of all calipers, but the system only took in 1 quart of fluid for some reason. The fluid in the master cylinder does not go down anymore so cant add more fluid. Will try bleeding the system again in afew days. And Ill test the rear brakes with your suggestion. Thanks much.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I've always thought of the hand brake as a parking brake rather than an emergency brake.

Quick Reply: E-Brake question