Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E3.48 Spark Plugs - Wow... Impressive performance improvement

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 11:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default E3.48 Spark Plugs - Wow... Impressive performance improvement

Started to head out on a 35 mile drive on Sunday and encountered a cylinder 5 misfire, so I turned around and took my wife's car on the trip. When I arrived home, I decided my first attempt at resolving the issue would be to replace the spark plugs (had already checked to make sure I did't just have a loose plug wire connection). I had previously installed a set of Bosch Platinum Iridium plugs, maybe 20 or 25,000 miles ago.

After a little quick online research for some replacements, I opted to install a set of E3.48 plugs. I did this in the driveway, in our single digit temperatures, early Sunday evening. Took me a total of about 15 minutes to replace them. I thought my fingers were going to fall off each time I took off a glove to thread in a plug... Not a fan of winter...

I am amazed at the difference these plugs created, beyond just fixing the misfire... It runs smoother and seems to have significantly more low end torque than with the previous Bosch plugs. They are also readily available... I picked mine up at O'Reilly's Auto for $48 for the set of 8.

Prior to the misfire, I had been having a situation where the D2 would shift up through the gears as I accelerated, but as a I came the posted speed limit, and leveled off on the the throttle, it would seem to hesitate and sort of lug and then downshift and then shift back to the higher gear. After installing the E3 plugs, that odd behavior stopped completely.

Additionally, the UltraGauge is reporting about a 2 to 3 mpg improvement in instant milage readings right after the installation. I'm looking forward to my first opportunity to do a little towing with these plugs installed.

If you haven't tried them, based on my recent experience, I'd recommend that you give them a shot...

The following 2 users liked this post by TripleThreat:
mollusc (01-19-2018), No Doubt (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 06:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Good to know, I should change my plugs more often, but I just hate #7.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:18 AM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Glad to hear the E3s work good in the Disco, but I think that you were losing more from Bosch junk than gaining with E3.
Bosch Platinum plugs are notoriously garbage in everything they go in. I wasn't suprised to read several posts on them being as bad in Land Rovers when I came to this forum.
E3 has built a reputation as a good, quality spark plug, but I don't think they can do any more than an NGK, Auto-lite, or Champion.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:38 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

^agreed, more likely bad plugs.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Bosch plugs suck!!! Especially the models where the center electrode sits flush with the insulator. They can foul very easily and you’ll be battling misfires in a very short time. I avoid them like the plague! NGK & Autolite’s have been very reliable in the LR V8.

Not sure about the E3 performance. They remind me of the old Splitfire snake oil plugs back in the day. However I’m glad your D2 is now running better.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts
Old 01-19-2018, 09:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Recently saw a test of plugs that concluded that ANY plug that produces a proper spark is all that's needed; no snake-oil designs made a bit of difference. The E3's take up more space in the combustion chamber, raising the compression by a minuscule amount, gaining a minuscule amount of power in lab conditions.. obviously quality and function come in to play as experienced with Bosch, so I agree with the results of upgrading from crap to a functional plug. I've been running standard Champions with no issues except they wear faster than a platinum, but I get them cheap and don't mind replacing more often. I'll try to find plug test and post..

The following users liked this post:
BustedRover (01-22-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 10:18 AM
TReK

I know several people that have used E3s(not in a LR), and they have been long lasting quality plugs.
Unfortunately, no magical 20hp gain.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:22 AM
TReK

I've always ran NGK in all my dirt bike, sport bike and 4wheelers, and they are great plugs.
Does anyone have the NGK part number for the LR 4.6?
Any particular temperature plug run noticeably better than an another in these engines?
I have Champions now, but want to replace them with my upcoming rebuild.
Thanks for any info.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

I guess someone should change the major service sticky and edit the type of plugs to get

Quick Reply: E3.48 Spark Plugs - Wow... Impressive performance improvement