Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early 03 Oil Pressure Light on!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 10:56 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Early 03 Oil Pressure Light on!!!!!

I have a 2003 Discovery with a build date of 6/02 with approx. 62k miles. Went to start the vehicle (in driveway) the other day and the oil warning light came on with engine running rough. I immediately shut off the engine and checked the oil level which was fine. Upon researching possible causes on various internet forums I found the following LRNA Technical alert #TA03 1201 dated March 14, 2003 which states:

" 2003 Discovery Series II Oil Pump Failures
Vehicles Affected
Discovery Series II (LT) 3A771801 – 3A808362
Situation
Oil pump failures on 2003 Discovery Series II vehicles may be the result of a
manufacturing error. Locating dowel pins may be slightly misaligned permitting
assembly of the oil pump to the engine block, but placing stress on the pump housing
which can ultimately lead to leakage or failure.
Resolution
Whenever an oil pump failure is encountered on vehicles within the above VIN range
the only effective repair currently available is replacement of the complete engine
assembly including the front cover/oil pump manufactured to the latest tolerances.
Use the following components to affect a repair:
• LBB112301 4.6 Engine assembly LEV
• LBB111461 4.6 Engine assembly NON-LEV"

I had leased this vehicle from new and subsequently puchased it from Land Rover Capital Group at lease end in August 06. At no time has there been any information or disclosure with respect to this known "manufacturing error" by LRNA during the lease period or at time of purchase at lease end. At time of purchase the vehicle was out of warranty based on mileage and was therefore not elligble for extended warranty coverage.

Based on the above Technical Alert it is clear that LRNA was fully aware of this issue with respect to my vehicle.

I need to get advice on the best way to proceed in terms of the next step.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Early 03 Oil Pressure Light on!!!!!

Does your vehicle fall within the vin numbers, if so you need to talk with the dealer service manager, not a service writer, and see what he says.
Don't drive it at all.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:12 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the vehicle VIN is in the range of affected vehicle VIN#'s. The vehicle has not been started since the light came on. At the start-up when the light first came on the engine ran less than 30 seconds before it was shut off. I'm concerned because, with only a warning lamp, there is no way of knowing the exact manner in which the pump actually fails. Does it fail gradually or castrophically? If it failed gradually then that would imply marginal lubrication throughout the entire engine for some unknown period of time. Assuming the pump could be repaired, what would be the long-term implications on engine life. I think I need to know where I stand with Land Rover on this matter before I contact them. Is the best first step to bring it to a dealer? Or would I be better off having it evaluated independently? What is the probabality LRNA will refuse to do anything since the vehicle is out of warranty? From what I gathered searching the web, other people have been in a similar situation and LRNA has refused to do anything! I also need to know what constitutes an acceptable repair.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

If the pump were having an issue, and the oil pressure dropped below 15#'s then the light would have been on more. As it stands, having the repaqirs made will pretty much assure you of lots of miles on your engine in the future.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The pump will explode and then starve the engine of oil and in the time it takes for you to pull over it is toast.
If the light just came on and you didnt drive it just have it replaced and you will be good.
Dont expect much from LR. I think at best you will have to pay for part of the repair.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:18 AM
4wd Low

Whenever an oil pump failure is encountered on vehicles within the above VIN range
the only effective repair currently available is replacement of the complete engine
assembly
including the front cover/oil pump manufactured to the latest tolerances. Italics added for emphasis.

You can interpret the above statement any way you want but the bottom line is still the same: When the original oil pump fails or otherwise needs to be replaced, an "off the shelf" replacement cannot be fitted properly. Read it again. That's what it says. Ain't gonna work. You need a new pump, you need a new engine. End of story. Official statement from the horse's mouth.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:42 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was the outcome with your contact with Land Rover Headquarters?

I am in the same situation....see the following link:

https://landroverforums.com/m_59022/..._/tm.htm#59036