Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a easy 3 amigo ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014 | 05:09 PM
|
Mudding
Default a easy 3 amigo ?

After a year of ownership and 2500 miles my 3 amigo happened as its my first time with this. I have a question. Is the rave manual detail enough that I can troubleshoot with a multi meter or will I have to buy a tester? My ultra Gauge dosent . And I don't think my cheep obd2 reader is up to this one . If I can locate and repair the fault will the system ever reset itself? Thanks in advance. Also if anyone knows exactly where in rave this info is please let me know

Old 02-03-2014 | 06:24 PM
Pro Wrench

You will need the codes. You can buy an ABS Amigo scanner for $200 or you can buy an Autocom CDP+ for $75+ shipping and read the codes, bleed the modulator, bleed the brakes, and activate, test and diagnose every circuit on the truck.

Old 02-04-2014 | 09:35 AM
|
Mudding

Thank I will order one

QUOTE=04duxlr;444457]You will need the codes. You can buy an ABS Amigo scanner for $200 or you can buy an Autocom CDP+ for $75+ shipping and read the codes, bleed the modulator, bleed the brakes, and activate, test and diagnose every circuit on the truck.[/QUOTE]

Old 02-04-2014 | 12:04 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by blackhills
Thank I will order one
Keep in mind, the AutoCom will need a Windows PC you can get to the vehicle. Laptop, Tablet, or computer on Dolly?

Old 02-04-2014 | 08:37 PM
|
Mudding

[
Ok best links for these readers to research and buy if I am buying a tool I want to use it on many vehicles

QUOTE=SuperSport;444620]Keep in mind, the AutoCom will need a Windows PC you can get to the vehicle. Laptop, Tablet, or computer on Dolly?[/QUOTE]

Old 02-05-2014 | 12:33 AM
Winching

I often see used ABS Amigos around on this site and others. Take a looks for a used one. I bought one used a couple years back and I paid $125. It's been used many times. Especially when you are working with a CDL.

Old 02-05-2014 | 10:24 AM
Pro Wrench

For the ABS Amigo, Craigslist, Ebay, and the Land Rover Forums.

For AutoCom, there are MANY Chinese sellers offering them on the Internet. One member on here found them for around $60.

Here's a link to one. I don't have any connection to them, nor do I know if they can be trusted.
Top Professional (Quality A)NEW Multi-Cardiag M8 CDP+ for Cars/Trucks 3 IN 1 ( 2013.03 Version ) For Obd2autocom

This is where I bought mine: I paid around $100 delivered.
2013.03 version Red For AUTOCOM CDP+ pro Plus for Cars & Trucks & Generic 3 in 1 autocom

If you want to install the software first to see if it will work for you, you can see it work here, and download it here.

Last edited by SuperSport; 02-05-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-06-2014 | 06:16 PM
|
Mudding
Default cable

hey suspersport easy question if I buy the scanner u suggested and it looks like a reasonable cost can I do everything with the obd2 port or do I need extra cables to plug into each individual box ?

Old 02-06-2014 | 08:17 PM
Three Wheeling

NONSENSE!!! Don't get duped into the various "patches". The problem with the ABS modulator is a faulty ground in a ridiculous circuit board in the heart of the unit. The various patches simply try to deal with the symptoms ("3 amigo" fault codes.) there is a simple, inexpensive permanent fix that bypasses the bad ground connection with a new one that costs all of about $5 and an hour or less of work. I've done this fix to several rovers without issue. There is a great write up from the individual that originally (ingeniously) came up with the fix, great pics and all. It's been a few years now so I don't remember his name but I do remember that he's part of the Virgin Islands Rover club. If you have trouble finding it, let me know and I'll dig around for it again.

Old 02-06-2014 | 08:34 PM
Three Wheeling

OK, look on LAND ROVER V.I. club website and you will find the ABS mod. there are a few options, you will likely want option B. this is the one I have done many times. Also, no need to disconnect the modulator from the break lines as the write up shows. If you're careful, you can do this mod and not need to do the tedious task of bleeding your lines.

Quick Reply: a easy 3 amigo ?