Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Potential Buy, is it a crank sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default 02 Potential Buy, is it a crank sensor?

I looked at an 02 with 80k miles. Body is in about a 7.5, looks like a minor front end collision with a bad repair job. Interior is about an 8, generally nice but a couple of just dumb issues, the plastic over the instrument cluster has a crack down the middle, the plastic housing around the shifter is broken, the suede panels on the doors are hammered, the balance of the interior is okay.

Now for the fun stuff. The owner says that he was driving down the freeway and all of a sudden it loses power. He manuvers to the shoulder waits awhile and it starts up again, only to shut down after a few seconds. He has it towed and parks it at his house.

It will turn over and almost start up but coughs, kicks and dies (the air filter cover was off when we tried to start it, it seemed to be coughing out the intake). It may be a fuel delivery issue, it also sounds like a crank sensor from the threads that I have read. Evidently, he has had the codes read and all that comes up is some kind of fuel system code, he did not have the number and I didn't have a reader.

The engine compartment looked good, typical leaking valve cover gaskets. The balance of the engine, tranny, transfer case, all look good. It did have a zerk fitting on the front driveshaft, front u-joint, I couldn't get under to see the rear u-joint on the d/s. He had the brakes replaced by the dealer, pads, rotors, and calipers (he claims to have had it serviced by the dealer only, he got tired of the $1500 repair bills, hence the reason that he is getting rid of it).

Assuming the engine issues could be figured out, with some tlc, the truck could be a nice ride, or should I just keep looking for the soccer mom, garage-kept version. Any ideas on the engine starting issues? Thanks Phil

Old 04-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Witout even reading all your post, how much is he asking for the truck?

Old 04-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

$3400 asking price

Old 04-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would hook a scanner up to it and check to see if there is a crank sensor code first .. because it could be other things then just a crank sensor causing that problem if you dont know how to diagnoss it then it would be worth towing it to a mechanic to check it before commiting to the purchace

Old 04-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have any luck at the mechanic let me know what the solution is/was please. im experiencing a similar issue w/o the dieing part and would appreciate any info i can get.
good luck.
btw if it is a easy fix then its a good price. at least for my area.

btw2 check the VIN #for recalls and carfax report.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sound like $2000 at the most I just picked up a 00 disco looks and runs better than my 03 disco just did a 3000 mile round tripe with out a problem! What I did before I picked up another Disco was looked it over keeping my mind clear and then stood back and asked my self if I could drive it to Florida and back if I said no in my head I walked I did that for three months and 13 disco's I am so glade I did!!!!!!!!!!
I just sold my 03 disco with 63,000 miles 12-16 MPG and the engine had a strange vibration to it! Now I have a 00 Disco 15-18.9 MPG with 123,000 and plane on driving back to AZ next month!!!
Its OK to say no just wait I almost picked up a few man I'm glade I didn't!