Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EBC brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBC brakes

Going with ebc rotors and pads, but am wondering which pads are best as I have read green create less dust, but yellow have the best stopping power. Anyone have any background or use of either with land rovers ?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-03-2011, 07:39 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Go with the rotors if you want, or better yet DBA rotors, but stay away from their pads. I have seen so many people who have had issues with their pads, grinding, dust and not stopping well. If you look, it is hard to even find a matched pair of front and rear pads from them which makes you use a green on one axle and a yellow on another.
Consider buying a matched pair of Akebono pads, stop better, last longer, no dust, no squeaking and no 3 Amigos.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the pad de jour seems to change every six months.

last summer, EBCs were the hot item. now some folks have moved on to Akebono.

I'm running green pads, have worked great. Satisfied.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Last year while I was looking for a replacement for my 85,000 mile old Kevlar pads, I started looking at EBC, but over a month or two and getting feed back from 5 Rover forums I quickly pulled away from them.
Sure, I was looking at them but found a much better replacement.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:42 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Go with the rotors if you want, or better yet DBA rotors, but stay away from their pads. I have seen so many people who have had issues with their pads, grinding, dust and not stopping well. If you look, it is hard to even find a matched pair of front and rear pads from them which makes you use a green on one axle and a yellow on another.
Consider buying a matched pair of Akebono pads, stop better, last longer, no dust, no squeaking and no 3 Amigos.
i can agree 100% with mike. their pads are no good for our rigs. they do not stop well cold. and even when heated they do not provide any feel to the foot. its like braking your truck after your foot has fallen totally asleep.

i have used their pads for race applications on my motorcycles and on my car, but for these big heavy trucks they are just no good.

as soon as i can i am gonna swap out my rotors and pads. mind you my ebc pads all have less then 10k miles on them and i knew within 1000 miles i was gonna hate them.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Rock Crawling

The ebc rotors with akebono seem to Best deal as far as price goes, but I'm having trouble figuring out the part numbers to order the pads from an eBay seller.
Looks like there are three types for sale so any ideas or suggestions on which pads to use?

Thanks again

Old 01-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

I have the EUR676 on the front and EUR473 on the rear. I've had them for about 2 years now, and love them. The only dust and dirt on my wheels comes from the road. My bottle of wheel cleaner is collecting dust in the garage as I haven't had to use it since putting them on.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:49 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

For what it's worth, I never had a visit from the three amigos until I installed EBC green stuff pads. Took them off, reinstalled LR pads and the amigos were gone (and haven't been seen since...)

Old 01-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
I have the EUR676 on the front and EUR473 on the rear. I've had them for about 2 years now, and love them. The only dust and dirt on my wheels comes from the road. My bottle of wheel cleaner is collecting dust in the garage as I haven't had to use it since putting them on.
What rotors did you go with?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

I honestly don't remember which rotors I went with. I got them from WordPac (one of the parts suppliers we use at work). They were just OEM equivalents; not drilled, slotted, ceramic, or anything fancy. They were made in the USA though. Through the years, I have seen rotors made in China or India warp quicker than those made in the USA. I think it has something to do with the purity of the metals used.

Last edited by lordmorpheus; 01-04-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Quick Reply: EBC brakes