Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EBC brakes giving me issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBC brakes giving me issues?

Hi all,

So I installed new EBC pads and rotors on all four corners of my 2003 DII about 8,000 miles ago. Green Stuff pads and the dimpled and slotted rotors. At first, everything was just fine - better braking, smooth stopping, etc.

Now, I have a nasty vibration when I brake. It seems to me that the rotors have experienced "run-out", which EBC profiles in a bunch of places on their website talking about how it is not an issue with their rotors or pads. Heck, you can even check out this link (http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive/pro_cut_lathe.shtml) about the "Pro-Cut" lathe and how they recommend getting the rotors skimmed while on your vehicle (even a brand new installation.)

I've installed rotors and pads on a number of vehicles and have never experienced this kind of issue within 8,000 miles.

So, my plan is to have the rotors re-surfaced and install new pads. My big question though....how do I keep it from happening again? Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You can't resurface slotted and drilled/dimpled rotors, at all.
Have you called the supplier you bought from to see if they will help you?

Old 06-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Mudding

Hi Mike,

Got them at Atlantic British and no, I haven't gone back to them. According to EBC, you can resurface these rotors on "a standard AAMCO brake lathe." After reading more and more on their website, it seems like this is a commonplace issue, but I've not experienced this before.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:55 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You may want to look into this with a couple of shops. I have always been told that the slots and holes will tear up the lather bit and the rotors.
Of course you want to get them measured first and see if they are in fact warped. I run DBA rotors, nearly 100,000 miles on them and they have never warper after a lot of hard driving.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You can resurface, it just has to be done lightly, and you are experiencing a common issue. Some get it right out of the box with any slotted rotors.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
You can resurface, it just has to be done lightly, and you are experiencing a common issue. Some get it right out of the box with any slotted rotors.
Yep, I just had a shop nearby tell me they could turn them for me.

So, if this is a common issue, what is the fix?

Old 06-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jrkstore43
Yep, I just had a shop nearby tell me they could turn them for me.

So, if this is a common issue, what is the fix?
This will solve your problem once and for all.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9542.cfm

Old 06-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Rock Crawling

Have you been braking hard or towing heavy loads with these rotors? I have not had any warping problems with the stock rotors, I am still running the original rear rotors with 182,000 miles on them.

Willie

Old 06-18-2010, 09:40 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
This will solve your problem once and for all.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9542.cfm
Thanks for the advice, Spike. After I get this re-surfaced I may be going this route if it happens again. I really don't want to drop another $300 when these rotors only have 8,000 miles on them. It just doesn't make any sense as to why this issue has come up.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Willie00d2
Have you been braking hard or towing heavy loads with these rotors? I have not had any warping problems with the stock rotors, I am still running the original rear rotors with 182,000 miles on them.

Willie
Willie - no towing, no heavy loads, no heavy braking. Just basic around town kind of use. I haven't even been off-roading since I installed these. My stock rotors that I removed didn't have any warping issues either, they were just worn. I was hoping these EBC brakes would be an upgrade, but this is driving me nuts!

Quick Reply: EBC brakes giving me issues?