Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EBC brakes giving me issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the way, this is how EBC describes the issue:

"No warranty is offered for brake vibration suffered due to uneven rotor thickness wear after incorrect installation of brake rotors. It is commonly known in the brake rotor business that accurate mounting and checking of runout on brake rotors is paramount at installation and in spite of necessary warnings many mechanics still see fit to ignore this warning and make no effort whatsoever to check rotor runout. This leads to brake vibration in the 3-5,000 miles lifetime period and is not a warrantable condition. The solution for vibration at this stage is to have the rotors turned or replaced and to thoroughly clean the mounting flange on the vehicle and carefully check for runout before returning the vehicle to service use."

Old 06-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Rock Crawling

What a load of BS. They know that drilled/slotted rotors are prone to cracking and warping because the material they remove makes hot spots and causes metal fatigue, hence the cracking/warping. I have done many brake jobs and the packaging always says that you should put thermal cycles on the rotors in the oven before mounting to prevent warping. I have had rotors warp during this process which really upset me. There are no good answers for this, however Spike is on to something.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by d2luvr
What a load of BS. They know that drilled/slotted rotors are prone to cracking and warping because the material they remove makes hot spots and causes metal fatigue, hence the cracking/warping. I have done many brake jobs and the packaging always says that you should put thermal cycles on the rotors in the oven before mounting to prevent warping. I have had rotors warp during this process which really upset me. There are no good answers for this, however Spike is on to something.
Yep, it is kind of interesting. Of course, they don't call it warping...it's run-out, which they like to put the blame on the consumer for improper installation...nice.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:56 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Solve this problem buy not buying fancy rotors. Fancy brake pads, sure OK, but for rotors stick with regular old solid rotors. At least on these trucks and any other regular old vehicle. I know it is too late for the OP but for EBC to say warping does not happen and blame it all on runout is kind of disappointing. I'm no expert though so maybe they are right who knows.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by lipadj46
Solve this problem buy not buying fancy rotors. Fancy brake pads, sure OK, but for rotors stick with regular old solid rotors. At least on these trucks and any other regular old vehicle. I know it is too late for the OP but for EBC to say warping does not happen and blame it all on runout is kind of disappointing. I'm no expert though so maybe they are right who knows.
That's my own fault, but Atlantic British had the set on sale at the time and it was close to the price for regular rotors, so I went for it.

>>>>UPDATE - Atlantic British is sending me new front rotors free of charge. Note, this sounds like AB's doing and nothing coming from EBC. The gang at AB has always shown great customer service and this is just one more feather in their cap.

Now....any thoughts on how to prevent this from happening on my new rotors???

Old 06-18-2010, 05:42 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I was going to say AB should be good for it, they are a great shop. I'm not sure what you can do accept take it easy until they are broken in. This is really the first time I heard bad things about the EBC rotors on rovers.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Take it from a guy who eats brakes for lunch, fancy brakes are for teenagers who want to look cool.
Real men use solid rotors and whatever pads their wallet can afford.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Make dang sure you don't have a caliper dragging. It will heat and warp a rotor.

I guess according to Spike, there are no real men driving D2's...Guess I am not either. I have slotted,dimpled on front and cross drilled on back. They are still solid rotors, though...

Old 06-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy

I guess according to Spike, there are no real men driving D2's...Guess I am not either. I have slotted,dimpled on front and cross drilled on back. They are still solid rotors, though...
Man take a joke once and a while.

I realize my sarcasm does not type out well sometimes but geeze...

Old 06-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I laughed.

Quick Reply: EBC brakes giving me issues?