Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECU help

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 01:05 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU help

ok so after several months of head scratching the land rover dealership is telling me that the ecu is shot and shorting out the system causing poor idle, too much fuel mixture. (had all o2 checked) also no codes showing up do to the fact that the scanner, all of them will not sync with the vehicle. so far ive been given a few options.. none pleasant.

1. need a new ecu? this runs 1600, obviously i dont like this option very much but it is what the dealer is recommending.
2. buy a used ecu, however ive been told this will not work unless i (purge) the info from it, essentially making it blank, and then sending it to LR and them syncing my rovers info to it.. most likely idk
3 buy a bcu, ecu, and tachometer all from the same used vehicle and install them together as to keep the (rolling code)

so hears what im asking. I need some clarity about the feasibility about which of these options is best recommended. ive delt with a lot of shops before and herd stories of LR shops not being well very helpful... so pls if any body can give some input as ive trolled these forums and have yet to find a very clear answer.. thank you .

Old 08-25-2014, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Buying a nanocom and an used ECM would be cheaper than option 1. Nothing to be purged, but it will always have the wrong VIN stored in it. Not a huge deal.

Option 3 will also work, but you'll want the remotes too, or else you'll still need the dealer or a nanocom or something to get your remotes working again. Also, if your state records miles with registration, your miles will be wrong of course.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:22 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the reply what is a nanocom, also since it wouldnt be correlating vin's would the bcu recognize it? ive already had to cut the door handle off because the bcu controlled security system went nuts. lol

Old 08-25-2014, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

It's a small land rover specific computer. I bought one a few years back for my D2, and i've since updated it for LR3. They are a little pricey, and worth every penny.
Home Page

There is a handshake that happens between the BCU and ECM every time the engine is started. If the two devices don't recognize each other, the fuel will be turned off. The nanocom (or a few other land rover specific computers) can re-establish this.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

I have an ECU for you here. Must resynch with BCU.