Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Egg damage

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Egg damage

Unlucky me,

Halloween can be fun, but leaves us dangerously exposed to the pranks of young hooligans.

Many cars on my street were vandalized with egg (trick-or-treat) on Halloween. I thought I had escaped without harm until today. As I washed the layer of dirt and ash off of my truck I discovered a line of etched clear coat.

I checked with an auto detailer and he said it can’t be polished out. Any secret remedies for egg damage?

MWmG

Old 11-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Egg damage

That's why I put mine in the garage and left the mercedes out in the street as a sacrafice. If it ate through the clear coat I doubt that you could buff it out. Spray on more clear coat and polish? Probably not.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Reminder to self: buy a mercededs for next holloween and keep the Disco in the garage.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: DeepBlueWater

Reminder to self: buy a mercededs for next holloween and keep the Disco in the garage.
You can't go wrong. I think old diesel Mercedes are the best kept secret around.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I would still try some of the friendly safe clear coat rubbing compounds, be surprised what they will do. You could also use a clay block or even some of the really fine emry cloth to ever so lightly cut that egg from the paint.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The secret is to progress from something that is least abrasive to more abrasive. You want what removes the etching and nothing more. Experience helps as there is generally a point of no return. There are polishing "systems" available, most frequently used in body shops, but there are also progressive products available from people like Griots Garage designed specifically for the do-it-yourselfer. Also, when using a machine stick to the orbitals with foam pads and leave the high speed buffers with wool pads to the highly skilled and experienced. I've seen more clear coat finishes ruined with swirls marks than I can count.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:53 PM
b c
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HA! Good one
Glad some of you have sense of humor. Sometimes these forum folks are a serious bunch

Old 11-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine got creamed too, literally!! With ice-cream. Not as harsh as the egg. I don't think kids would waste perfectly tasty ice-cream on a halloweenprank though. It happened Monday night Oct 29th, so I'm guessing it wasa spiteful neighbor who is pissed that I'm taking up anothervaluable parking spot in our congested neighborhood. I have a garage and usually park it in there but that night I had my motorcycle strapped to the rear on a carrier and it was too long to fit in the garage. I also still have my Grand Cherokee which is also parked on the street, and only gets moved for street cleaning. So I'm guessing someone's trying to tell me I'm taking up too much space