Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Fan worky/noworky??

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Fan worky/noworky??

Hey all, I was searching the forum trying to find a link - to find out if there is a way to check the electric fan up front is working or not. I recently realized I've never heard it running and would like to check it for proper function. The fuse is good if, the under hood 40amp is the only one for it. 04

Thanks to those that respond

Robert

Old 09-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turn on your A/C.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by 98roverguy
Turn on your A/C.
Dang-it I almost did just that this afternoon just to see what would happen and got side tracked when the wife started her Heeeeeyyy whats this thangy dooo???? routine.

Thanks

Old 09-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Try spinning your fan, does it turn freely?
Will it come on with the a/c on and or while driving in down with stop and go traffic?

Old 09-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Try spinning your fan, does it turn freely?
Mike,

I only had a minute to run it before the wife went to work today and its only 70 outside. I'll run it this weekend and see what happens. I did have the wrong idea - I thought it was an auxiliary fan....and

yes it does spin freely is that good???

Thanks

Robert

Old 09-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes it spinning freely is a good thing, that means the motor to it is not seized.
Start the truck, turn on the a/c and stand in front of the grill, listen for it to come on...simple.

On a DII the electric fan will not come on unless the engine is to normal temp, so do this after your wife gets it home from work.
So even though the a/c is on unless the engine is warmed up the fan will not come on no matter what.
In other words...dont check the fan first thing in the morning after it has sat all night.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Rock Crawling

OK fellers,

This weekend I took the Disco for a ride (shopping) and waited until I got home to fire up the AC and check the fan.

It did not move at all, the ambient temperature was only 68 - I dont know if that matters or not. When I turned on the AC I turned the thermostats down to Lo - nothing.

The AC has worked since we got the Disco (and still does) I just don't know about this fan. Is there a way to jump it to see if it works, are there common shorts with these somewhere???

Thanks

Robert

Old 09-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The fan won't work even with the aircon on, if the outside temp is not above 25*C, so you said it was 68*f, well thats only 20*c, so it won't come on, it's to cold and the aircon system does not need it as enough air is already pulled over the heat exchanger by the viscous fan.

So, in a nustell, the fan WILL NOT work with aircon on if it is less than 28*C (82*f) even then the vehicle has to moving LESS than 80KM/h.... then it will work. The engine ECM can also issue a request for the fan to be used for AUX cooling if needs be, this is irrespective whether the aircon is on or not.

Last edited by Urban Panzer; 09-29-2009 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Speed and temp edited
Old 09-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
The fan won't work even with the aircon on, if the outside temp is not above 25*C, so you said it was 68*f, well thats only 20*c, so it won't come on, it's to cold and the aircon system does not need it as enough air is already pulled over the heat exchanger by the viscous fan.

So, in a nustell, the fan WILL NOT work with aircon on if it is less than 25*C (77*f) even then the vehicle has to moving LESS than 62KM/h.... then it will work. The engine ECM can also issue a request for the fan to be used for AUX cooling if needs be, this is irrespective whether the aircon is on or not.
See, on a DI you turn the a/c on and the fan comes on, turn the a/c off and the fan shuts off, simple.
Man I love DI's.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Urban,

That is some excellent information, I'll wait for a hotter day to check this out with certainty.

Thanks

Robert

Quick Reply: Electric Fan worky/noworky??