Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Fan worky/noworky??

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 02:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
See, on a DI you turn the a/c on and the fan comes on, turn the a/c off and the fan shuts off, simple.
Man I love DI's.
Yes your right, simple really, but does have its negative sides,

1. the load is always on the alternator when it does not "really" need to be.....

2. If your out on the trails and you have the aircon on, you have to remember to turn it off when wading as the fan throws even more ****e into the engine bay, atleast with a D2 setup, you only need to worry if its 28°c or more, not a big issue I know (but I have to fight the D2 corner!!)

Old 09-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
but I have to fight the D2 corner!!
I got your back!

Old 09-30-2009, 07:12 AM
Three Wheeling

Just an FYI: for DIIs

for a/c,

1. electric fan will come on if driving less than 50MPH, AND ambient air temp is 82 degrees or more.

1a. fan will turn off if speed reaches 62.5 MPH or greater OR ambient air Temp decreases 77 degrees or less.

for engine cooling:

2. Fan will come on when coolant reaches 212 degrees and off when coolant temp is 202 degrees or less.

for engine cooling after igition is turned off:

4. fan will come within 10 seconds of turning truck off if air intake is 140 degrees or greater AND coolant temp is 230 degrees or more

4a. fan wil turn off after 10 minutes OR coolant reduces to 212 degrees or less.

this is taken directly from RAVE. sticky maybe? ive seen this come a lot.

Last edited by jayv; 09-30-2009 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:50 AM
7th Gear
Default A related issue

I also have a 2001 D2 with an A/C blower that seems to have a mind of it's own. As best I can tell there must be a relay or connection adjacent the glove box for the blower motor. The blower will shut off if the box is closed too hard and won't fire back up until it decides to or when I hit under the dash in the "right" spot. It also has crapped out when I have hit a good size bump or pothole as well, but there is no discernable pattern on when it stops or starts.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Old 10-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by KWKING
I also have a 2001 D2 with an A/C blower that seems to have a mind of it's own. As best I can tell there must be a relay or connection adjacent the glove box for the blower motor. The blower will shut off if the box is closed too hard and won't fire back up until it decides to or when I hit under the dash in the "right" spot. It also has crapped out when I have hit a good size bump or pothole as well, but there is no discernable pattern on when it stops or starts.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

I'd say you have a short, the least you could do is trace all the wiring associated with the blower - to make sure the connections are tight, sounds like it could be a connection that is wiggling loose - don't look check - push together check

Old 10-26-2009, 11:50 AM
7th Gear
Default Additional Information

Thanks for the previous advice, but still on & off at will. Here are the things I have done.
1) Checked (unplugged & reseated) conections.
2) Checked blower motor by applying 12V and it works like a charm.
3) Voltage coming into blower reads 4V.
4) Checked all fuses as well.
Now the interesting part.........I have noticed that the audio system on the right side cuts out when the blower cuts out.

Is there a common ground connection for those two systems that would explain things?

Thanks

Old 10-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Don't wait, start your truck up, let it idle with the a/c on, if the fan doesn't come on at operating temp. it is most likely bad. Better to find it sooner then after you toast your engine.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Don't wait, start your truck up, let it idle with the a/c on, if the fan doesn't come on at operating temp. it is most likely bad. Better to find it sooner then after you toast your engine.
Mike it hasnt been over 70 degrees here since i posted this thread, according to the responses i has to be above 77 to even come on

Thanks

Robert

Old 10-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Your fan will come on for 2 reasons, the a/c has reached max head pressure and or the engine has reached operating temp and you are doing stop and go driving.
Mine was on today while driving around in Denver and it's going to snow tonight, so it is not warm out.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Finally - after some time and a move - I found out my fan DOES work,

thanks to all that responded - there is some good information here

Quick Reply: Electric Fan worky/noworky??